COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

What I would do then is to print the titan housing as a part of the X-carriage and mount the stepper directly to the backside of it. Might save some room for a better cooling situation and perhaps a little weight too. To service the hot end would then require the four lid screws to be undone.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  2. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Update on first post, (again)

3. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Had to slim down the main wall of the extruder holders - 4mm is too thick for the short Titan screws and too thin for the long ones. Settled on 2.5mm for now to keep things compact - the motor and extruder will provide a lot of rigidity.

I will take a look at your updated files as well since additional hot end cooling is worth going for :)

4. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Thanks for proofing! Latest extruder holders are slimmed a bit, they are 3mm's now, about max for the short titan screws.

I'm test printing the IR X-carriage now, will make same mod on the BL if it works

5. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

By the way, there is a new version of the X-idler and X-motor mount. I got my micro switches and they need to be installed with the arm hanging, so the endstop screw both ends will ned to be repositioned. Test prints needed :) my machine is busy at the moment..

Attached Files:

6. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Its looking pretty good so far, I have all the bits now to try upgrading after I take a look at the latest files!

Might even be up and running by the weekend ...

7. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

That would be impressive, I have a little to go yet. look at my post above... Microswitches did not like to hav the arm standing up, it kind of flopped out of reach for the endstop screw..

8. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

And here is the X-idler stl (with repositioned endstop screw) testprint needed :)

Attached Files:

9. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

And yet another first post update...

10. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Interesting you had problems with the endstops since I have a spare e3d BigBox endstop and it seemed fine when I checked on a 'dry fit' and the current Y endstop on my BigBox is oriented 'flag up' (per Greg's IDEX Bowden) and works without issues.

I printed the fans last night and found I needed to ensure the extrusion width is set manually to 0.43mm or less otherwise S3D will not print the partitions correctly. Also there was some sort of glitch in the fan chamber about halfway up which caused some minor midair extrusion. Not serious, only a few strings but I can't see any reason in the .stl or the .step files unless there is a problem at surface joins. Finished print seems functional otherwise.

Just need to reprint the thinner carriers now before I fit things in anger :)

Could you post step files for your latest variations? I didn't see them in the zip yesterday.

11. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

I think it is all there now except the latest BL-touch carriage (will add that tonight)

Regarding endstop switches, might be a problem only with my switches (Omron D2F-FL3-D)
    metal arm i a bit to "floppy" on mine to work in any other position

Btw, printed my print fans at 0,15mm layer height. maybe that will solve the problem?

#91 Björn, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  12. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Mine was at 0.2 so you could be right :)

13. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

First draft of a readme file, comments? (look out for last few lines, just thought about this):

A conversion of Chase Wichert's brilliant dual direct titan design for the BigBox printer.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1554356

Also discussed here: https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/titan-dual-direct-drive-design.1307/

Parts needed from the dual direct design are:

Bearing clamps: Titan_Dual_MotorMount_Idler_Bearing_Clamp_x2_rev2_oriented
    Magnet holders: Titan_Dual_Magnet_Holder_Metric_6x3_x4_rev1_oriented
    Y endstop ?
    X-belt tensioner ?
    IR-mount if you want to use the IR sensor ?

In addition to that:
    Stepper motors for X-axis (Nema 14 max 34mm body length (OMC 14HS13-0804S is ok) (2)
    GT2 pulley 20t (1)
    Bearings for second X-axis belt idler F604zz (2)
    Linear bearings LM8LUU 8x15x45 (2)
    Print fan 40x40mm (1)
    Microswitches Omron D2F-FL3-D (2)
    Various bolts, nuts and washers (leftovers from the bigbox build was enough for me)

Space in X is limited, I use the smallest nema 17 "pancake" steppers (17HS08-1004S), X axis could be limited with thicker ones (more weight too)

Print tips....

Print fan shrouds are best printed with some sort of high temperature material, 0.15mm layers or so. use a generous skirt to avoid warping

X-carriages:

BLtouch Z-sensor; print one carriage of each, the IR carriage is used for the right hand carriage

Note: the BL-touch carriage needs support where the Z probe mounts!

Allso, print out a few BL-touch shims of varying thickness, there is no adjustability of probe height otherwise.

IR Z-sensor; print two IR-carriages use the IR sensor on the left side

Not tested yet is if the drag chain needs to be a few links longer or moved a little forward (will need a mod on that if needed) there might be an issue at near zero Y and full X the "loop" of the dragchain interferes with the X-steppers

mhe, Hugofitz and Arcson like this.
  14. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

15. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

16. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

And another update to the zipfile in first post, BL-touch X-carriage is modded. Soon time to put final version on all stl files.

potti5 likes this.
  17. potti5

potti5 Well-Known Member

hope we see soon final live video on this :) Nice work!

18. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Attention! Will have to change the X-idler a little, there is an interference between the square nut for the front X belt bearing bolts and the Y-belt securing setscrew. Will do this tonight.

19. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Might want to take a look at the way Greg did the belt idlers in his Bowden IDEX - it is a very compact solution and uses 20mm M4 grubscrews self tapping into the idler block so no need for a nut trap and no projecting bolt head. Just a thought...

I have printed the new X idler and motor mount and all looks good apart from the nut trap interference you noted.

Also looked at the Omron endstop data sheet and the lever is significantly shorter than the BigBox standard and there is quite a bit more free movement in comparison so 'flag up' is probably not a good choice in that case. I have googled and ebayed to try and find a better match without success. E3d will sell an original spare if you specify it is for the BigBox.

20. Folkert Kaman

Folkert Kaman Well-Known Member

I printed the extruder carrier and tried the fit in the carrier. I printed it with a 0.4 and 0.2 layer height, Then the extruder carrier is still arround 0.4 to thick. You might want to reduce the thickness a bit from 4.2 to 4 or even less.