COMPLETE Chase's dual direct titan idex conversion

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Björn, Mar 2, 2017.

1. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Just noticed in your draft readme that you suggest a 20 tooth gt2 pulley. This was was intended for the original 0.9 degree nema17 X motor. With the nema14 1.8 degree motors and 16x microstepping this will be 80 steps/mm - why not use http://e3d-online.com/GT2-Pulley-16-Tooth for a 25% increase in precision to 100 steps/mm. Still down from the original 160 steps/mm but still if we have to buy one pulley, why not two?

2. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Good idea, but idlers will also need to due to different spacing of the belts, the X-carriages vill also need some massaging (might be beneficial)

Will look into this. but time will be sparse for a week or so

3. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Tight fit in the X-carrier? versionV4? I have not noticed any problems with extreme interference like that on mine, they are tight but not overly so (don't want them to flop about)

I printed mine with 95% first layer height, might be the difference? Extruder carriers in HT and the X-carrier in PLA. 0,4mm nozzle on both, 3 outlines, 3 solid top and bottom layers, 25% infill

4. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

The most obvious and easy solution would be do decrease the diameter of the bore for the bolts and delete the square not altogether, just use the screws as self tappers. I have done that, latest zip file (20170318) contains the modified X-idler (V3)

5. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Seems a good way forward, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Incidentally, X-idler bearings are F604ZZ in original, Chase's, Greg's IDEX Bowden as well as your IDEX solution and Greg's uses gt2 16 tooth pulleys with no problem. It may need a tweak to the belt channels but the bearings are the same for all - I'll see how it fits In the build.

6. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

7. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Tiny update today, zipfile 20170319 has BL-touch shims (V2) that don't need drilling out for bolts :)

8. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Would likely be fine but shipping/duty/vat etc for shipment from the US is a pain. Would also need to resize for M3 bolts.

I have started my build and all has been going well until wiring the hot end(s). I have had to change the side I have fitted cartridge and PT100 in order to match the wiring notch and it looks like the fan is going to be a tight fit to the wires unless I can get a bit more surgical with them. Might need to shave a few mm from the arm ends to be a nicer fit.

Looks like I am going to need a new block/cartridge/PT100 for the second extruder - they are fused solid and I stripped the M3 screw :(

Ah well the joys of tinkering :)

9. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Regarding the bearing pulleys, I can them source locally, it was just a thought for 16t pulley idlers.. Will put that idea on hold for a moment. Have all parts printed here as well, but I think you might beat me to it.

Wiring will be a challenge, yes :)

10. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

And another update; found out after tearing down my machine that the bearing clamps on X idler and motor mounts could not be fastened. Pockets for square nuts where too shallow...

11. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Was just about to report that ... but the rest of build has been OK except the hot end wiring which is tricky but that came together in the end.

Guess I have more printing to do :)

Just noticed on the new X-motor/idler parts (V4) that the inner clearance holes in the pockets are also offset from the bearing clamp holes - not so critical but should be fixed.

#111 pjr3D, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Just noticed that, will fix in a moment (V5 coming up)

13. pjr3D

pjr3D Active Member

Warming up the delta now ... :)

14. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Fixed that. now for some pics, carriage at near zero Y, left hand carriage can not quite reach it, more compact Y belt tensioners will fix that I hope
    20170320_194259.jpg

Carriage at full X, left extruder can actually overshoot bed...
    Optimized-20170320_194244.jpg

Right hand extruder can almost reach zero X, just a few mm's missing.
    Optimized-20170320_194522.jpg

15. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

That's looking really good :) Nice job! I'm not going to worry about that couple of mm on the left...

Can't wait to see how well it works with the smaller motors - that's the only thing that concerns me (slightly). Hopefully I'll be trying it myself soon. Time to order in some parts I think...

Just got a Duet Wifi the other day, ready to fit - I'll probably do that first, then this as a separate project. So many fun things to do, so little time :rolleyes:

Well done Björn :D

16. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Is there a BOM? I have seen mention of magnets, I think that is the only thing I don't have on my shelf what kind/shape do I need

17. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

There is an embryo of a bom in the readme file (see zip in first post), I have modelled for the 6x3mm metric magnets that are used in Chase's dual direct titan.

#117 Björn, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  18. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Added new version of X-idler (V6) in today's update, mostly cosmetic stuff, but it is a few mm's shorter so I believe full X is possible also with right hand carriage

19. Björn

Björn Well-Known Member

Made a longer drag chain anchor, might be needed instead of a longer drag chain. this is 15mm's longer than standard

Attached Files:

20. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have the magnets and I have some new filament arriving today to print the parts with :) so hopefully in the next week or two I will be rocking IDEX :)