COMPLETE Chimera Hybrid Carriage

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Dom Bateman, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Dom Bateman

Dom Bateman Member

Hi Guys/Gals.

[​IMG]

I've designed a chimera hybrid carriage. I took the original design files from the 1.1 carriage and modified them for the chimera. this means there are only three (four if you count the print fan which is now out of line with the nozzles) different parts, the rest are the same as the 1.1.

the design files can be downloaded here on a file sharing and printing service site (to Clarify I'm not charging for the STL's they can be downloaded on the product page) http://www.3dorigins.co.uk/staging/. This is my website which is still in late development, I would love to see some designs added to it, so please give it a look.

The assembly
    Bar the chimera, its strikingly alike to the the original. The chimera is bolted on with five bolts, three on the rear of the chimera and two which go through the printed part into the top of the chimera heat sink. the front lm8uu bracket is different to the 1.1 and requires two of the M3x10 bolts to be swapped for M3x10 domed headed bolts, this is required for the fan on the chimera heat sink to fit. The rest of the assembly will be the same as what has been put in the official build manual.

The major exception is that the PTFE tube between the hot end and the direct drive extruder will be different. I have unfortunately not noted the length, but you can put a long piece through and cut to fit.

How it works
    The filament leading from the top of the carriage goes through a gently curved tunnel leading into the top of the heat sink. the curve is no more aggressive than the bowden extruder tube, so there is no effect on printing. The direct-drive titan extruder has been angled accordingly to the filament tunnel, this means the filament does not meet a immediate angle when leaving the extruder and is only met with a single gentle curve. The walls of the filament tunnels are intended to be relatively tight with the PTFE tubes to stop the filament within undergoing any unwanted movement.

I've also gone through designing with the constraint of having the nozzles be within a tight tolerance of the height of the original, so I can use the original IR sensor and print fan. Also to keep as close to the original print height.

I would love to hear your feedback on my little mod, if there are any questions please fire away.

#1 Dom Bateman, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Alex Stevenson likes this.
  2. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dom,

A few observations if I may.

What do we get for £17.71? There's no information on the page at all about anything. I would suggest adding part of what you have written above to the page and detail what we are paying for.

Where are the STL files? I can see no links to download.

Do you have any assembly photographs or images of the cad files?

If you are listing separate parts photograph those parts only and not the whole thing. There is no visual difference between the listed items.

3. Dom Bateman

Dom Bateman Member

Hi Greg,

I apologise if I did not give a informative explanation as to the nature of the website and how to navigate.

What you would be paying for is for that particular part printed and delivered to your address. The prints available for people to buy would be limited by what designers upload to the website, designers will receive commission for all orders that use their design, unlike some other websites.

The price is not arbitrary but dictated by how long and how much material the print will consume.

for now though that has been disabled as my current focus is on development and I uploaded these files with the intention of being downloaded if people wished to do so.

you can download the files off the product page.
    [​IMG]

There you will find a button "download STL file".

I have also changed the photos on the website for CAD pictures for each individual piece, Which I hope will add a bit of clarity.

No, I have no assembly photos unfortunately. I can see why this may be proffered, I will print some pieces off and take some photos for assembly.

4. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahhh my bad, I thought the staging was the product page!