Chimera+ PLA clogs

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by German, Jan 16, 2019.

1. German

German Member

Hi everyone!

I been about 2 years with a custom made printer, and I had one of the chinese PTFE lined hotends from Aliexpress, printing mostly PLA and a bit of ABS. I wanted to get serious about filaments, and bought a genuine E3D Chimera+. I've installed it, and altough it prints ABS beautifully, I can't print PLA reliably. Depending on the PLA, it can go mostly fine (Prima3D PLA+) with some expare underextrusion here and there, 50/50 chance with Sunlu PLA and I can't get a finished print of Eryone PLA. I've checked all the usual suspects:

- The fan is the E3D fan included. It is mounted with the logo facing the heatsink (pushing air into it) and directly connected to 12V (it's a 12V setup)
    - I used the thermal compound included in the cold side of the heatbreak, as described
    - I already had semitec 104 sensors, so marlin already was configured with thermistor 5
    - There's no fan pointed to the nozzles, and temperature is stable during the print
    - Retraction is never greater than 2mm, with 50mm bowden tube, and retraction speed from 20mm/s to 60mm/s
    - First layer is as perfect as it gets (can realiably print 0.1mm first layer)
    - Tried to print cold (185ºC), medium (200ºC) and hot (220ºC). No success.

Remember I already had a perfectly (PTFE lined) working printer for 2 years, which I designed and build from scratch.

Is PLA printing with all metal hotends allways this hit-and-miss??

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have no experience of the Chimera but have successfully printed ABS and PLA on my BigBox with V6 hotend, it's a while ago and I don't have figures I used but maybe a check on both filament and bed temperature {which you don't mention at all?) would help.

Why you home-made setup should work with PLA and using similar? settings and and the above filament temperatures I don't really know.

Posting your config files from your slicer may help too.

3. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Never used a Chimera so have no idea of anything specific to that hotend, but I've used V6s on two different printers and printed lots of PLA with no issues. Different manufacturers, generally printing PLA at about 190 - 200 depending on the specific filament. For most PLAs I've used, hotend at 195 and bed at 60 is good. Occasionally a specific filament needs a bit more or less for really good results.

For me, that 'just works', so from my experience PLA printing with all metal hotends is just not a problem. Hopefully someone with experience of a chimera can give you a more specific answer for your setup.

4. German

German Member

Follow up: it ended up being a extruder problem: lack of grip. I didn't realize that the toothed gear of my extruder was grinding the filament a bit sometimes. I suppose that a all-metal hotend needs a bit more force (at least with PLA) than a teflon lined one, and my shitty extruder was at the edge of the required grip and grinded just little bit sometimes, when a bit more of torque was needed (after a rectraction, mainly). I changed the extruder to the Titan I already had about to be installed, calibrated it and now all PLA filamentes (BUT ERYONE one) print beautifully too. About the Eryone roll, I suppose it's too bad or has moisture, because all my others PLA's have been able to print a perfect thingiverse's "cuddling owls" (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:50212) at 50% size and 0.1mm layer height now. (PrimaSelect white PLA+, Sunlu PLA+ green and black and Anycubic glow in the dark), but Eryone's now finishes the print but with a very bad finish quality.

Old_Tafr: as I said in the first post, I tried filament temperatures of 180ºC, 200ºC and 220ºC with no luck. Bed temp was 60ºC, and I had no problems in the first layer nor adhesion. My homemade setup was printing PLA nicely for some months already using a PTFE-lined hotend, I just replaced the PTFE lined for a Genuine E3D Chimera.

jfb: Once I changed the extruder, all of my PLA but Eryone "just work", and temperature just impacts a little bit the surface finish and shininess, as before.

Now, time to really test dual color!! :D

5. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Glad you got it sorted :)

6. Dan Kinzett

Dan Kinzett Member

I often get clogs and jams in my 2x chimera extruders. I have just had my 3rd clog where it is irreparable. I have gone through 3 heatbreaks. I have followed the installation guide to the letter. I will get some very good looking prints then all of a sudden one day it gets to 10-15 minutes in and clogs. I very much regret ever going with the chimera. Little to no one uses it so you will find very little information about it. Mostly everyone uses the cheap china clones and they report less problems than people with the original chimera...