Chimera

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Stian Indal Haugseth, May 2, 2016.

1. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

In the past I have been tempted to try out Chimera but had no printer to use it on.

Would there be any use for a chimera on the Bigbox? Could it make a smaller hybrid X-carriage? Dual direct would still be as big as the nema 17s.

Ephemeris likes this.
  2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Having just done the nozzle leveling on the BB dual, I now see a huge benefit to the Chimera. As is I just can't see swapping nozzles or going back and forth with volcano as a practical process. It's just too damned bitchy. It seems like Chimera is actually designed to make this process tractable enough that experimenting with such things wouldn't be a huge pain. In other words, the Chimera looks more like a machine tool rather than the nightmare of squeezing compliance o-rings by tightening inaccessible set screws.

#2 Ephemeris, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

looking forward to someone making a chimera mount will the e3d team be making one in the future?

4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Don't sell yourself short, you could always be the one to make the design if its something you want :)

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They prefer the dual v6 approach for a number of reasons. The cyclops is really the better reason to use that heat sink arrangement. Leveling the chimera nozzles is a bit clumsy.

6. Stian Indal Haugseth

I'd be interested in why its more clumsy? It can't be worse than the stock BB dual leveling?

7. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Im more interested in the kraken tbh

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

With the O-ring method it's easier to make small adjustments to the nozzle position. You don't need to completely loosen the nozzle to adjust it.

With the Chimera (and Kraken) you need to jig it against something to level it, because at least one nozzle must be essentially completely loosened in order to level. It's really annoying to deal with because it's relative to whatever you jig it against. Usually you can use the bed itself, but that can shift and may have it's own degree of freedom to deal with.

I prefer something that can be adjusted on the fly, or at least something that can be adjusted from above. I'll probably look into something like that at a later date.

9. Stian Indal Haugseth

I just saw a post in Reddit by @Sanjay and commented by @Josh. Do you think a dual direct Titan on chimera would work? Thinking of physical placement and space between the nozzles. Do you guys think it would be worth it to try out? I would like to try but only if it might make it simpler to use / tram compared to the existing BB solutions. Lots of ifs here :)

@Mike Kelly, I recon you have tried the Chimera? Just reading about it is sounds simpler but that might not be so in real life.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think it's possible to do a dual "titan", but not with their mold. Currently the only way I think it would be possible is to have the two facing each other and one mirrored. They're currently 11.5mm from the center to the face, so you'd need to trim off 2.5mm from each one to make the 18mm center to center of the Chimera/Cyclops.

And yeah I've used a number of different dual extrusion methods, dual v5's, dual v6, cyclops/chimera, dual mk10, and then the bigbox dual.
    It's simpler yes, but that's not always better or easier to use.

mike01hu likes this.
  11. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

I've made a quick mock-up for the Chimera/Cyclops. Removed the holes for the two v6 hotends from the Hybrid carriage and made a couple for the new heatsink. Don't have a BigBox yet to test it out, but maybe someone with lots of time on his/her hands ;)

Attached Files:

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  12. Stian Indal Haugseth

Nice. A hybrid should work fine yes. But I still would like to test a direct drive dual Titan Chimera. As @Mike Kelly mentions the spacing is a bit tight. Until I order a couple of titans and a Chimera I will have to wait and see.

13. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that this will not work. You only have 18mm of space and that's from the center point of both filament holes. Subtract the radius of both holes and that's only 14mm I think...

I'm going for the bowden approach... as the weight will be minimized and speeds can be driven up to 70mm/s/s

14. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You can do direct Chimera with Titans, you just need to make a mount with the Titans facing each other at an angle:

[​IMG]

15. Stian Indal Haugseth

Funky! :D

E3D needs to make a dual extruder for this heat sink.

Beginning to soften to the thought having a hybrid solution.

16. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Another option:

[​IMG]

17. Stian Indal Haugseth

Now you are getting somewhere! How close can we have the titans? And how would this work with flexible materials?

18. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That's mad-scientist crazy but awesomely cool! I think you need a jacob's ladder nearby and one of those spinning-sparking wheels too!

Mike Kelly likes this.
  19. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

As close as you like, the limitation is getting a hex key in there but if you assemble them to a bracket that then mounts to the backplate, you could have the Titans touching each other.

I expect them to do just fine for flexibles, it just an inch or two of extra PTFE. Some folks have done Ninjaflex on a bowden before.

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I like the way you think. The length isn't really a big deal. Whats another 60mm to a 30mm feed?

I stand corrected. You can do a direct drive chimera/cyclops with the titan, you just need to use a bit longer tubes.

I've often considered an approach where you have the two motors stacked vertically and use different bowden lengths.