Click click click

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by PsyVision, Jun 18, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Does anyone know what might cause this clicking sound:

#1 PsyVision, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Can't watch the video because it says it is a duplicate...

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Me neither...

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Changed the link. I've maybe managed to reduce it a bit with some tweaking to the stepper voltage.

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

My Titans do click slightly when retracting, but nothing like as much as that.

6. Chase.Wichert

Mine don't click at all..... Does it help with more tension? That doesn't sound like the gear slipping... Maybe the motor not having enough power, have you confirmed the voltage on the motor driver?

edit: can't imagine it is a power problem.. not with the titan

#6 Chase.Wichert, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  7. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

My voltages should be about 0.5 to 0.6 I think, I've not really changed them since I built the box and first configured.

I tried more tension and it seemed to get worse but then too little meant less extrusion.

I have the older hobbed gears so I wonder if it's related to that.

I'm out for the rest of the day now so can't experiment more.

8. Chase.Wichert

Lets hope that it is a bad feeder gear

9. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Is it possible that the drive belt is hitting somewhere?

10. Sarah Nicholson

Interestingly, I've been doing quite a bit of printing with Edge over the last day or two and I get a lot of clicking from my Titans which I wasn't getting before when printing with PLA. My Titans have already had their original hobbed gears replaced for better machined ones, my stepper voltage is set to 0.3V using the 13Ncm pancake motor. The prints are coming out really nicely and dimensionally correct, the filament isn't slipping or grinding, so it isn't affecting anything that I can see, but it is a bit annoying. I'll do some more experimentation with voltages and filament tension and see if anything reduces it.

Currently printing Alex's spool holder shims in Dark Crystal, and the parts look so nice I want to reprint all my BB parts now!

11. Chase.Wichert

Hmmm. That is interesting. I think the click is a skipped step. Maybe upping the voltage slightly would help that.

12. Sarah Nicholson

Yep, that's what I think I'll do, try a few prints and gradually increase it to see if it goes away. I guess Edge is harder to feed than PLA being a bit 'slippier'.

13. Chase.Wichert

Yeah i think edge is a little gummier, but just feel the motor as it extrudes, warm is okay, but if it is getting hot to the touch might want to back down the voltage.

14. Sarah Nicholson

It's pretty hot even at 0.3V actually, I'd definitely class it as more hot than warm...

I might also try to swap back the original large motor and see if it makes any difference, luckily I put connectors in so it's quite easy to change it back.

15. Chase.Wichert

Ahh then I wouldn't push it any more. What about the bowden tube feeding it? I had the small ID bowden tube and it was so hard to pull the filament through, although mine didn't have problems pulling it, I think my voltage might be higher. When I get my new RUMBA I will have to check and see what voltage I had it set at.

16. Sarah Nicholson

I am using the smaller ID tubing, I found the thin walled tube was virtually impossible to get into the Titan idler and if I trimmed it to make it easier to insert it then wouldn't stay in.

17. Chase.Wichert

Ahh, I still had a hard time getting it in even after I trimmed it.

18. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

What retraction rate are you guys working at whilst adjusting your voltages at?

Out of the box the BB is firmware limited to 25mm/s which, according to Richrap, is a bit on the low side of decent.

Which may make life easier for the extruder.....

19. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Is the clicking coincident with the retractions? If so, try undoing the Titan screws and closing the gap between the gears as much as possible before retightening while holding it in place. The Titan assembly instructions indicate that this is necessary. If it is not due to retraction, then it may be lack of hob wheel tension for the harder material but you would see evidence of grinding. My tension is set at just over the halfway mark for Edge.

20. Sarah Nicholson

Still having the clicking noises despite bumping the voltage a little, I don't want to get it any higher as the stepper is already pretty hot. I suspect it does happen on retracts as it is silent while laying down larger flat areas where there are no travel moves. I did a very quick pop the lid off and try to squeeze the gears together which doesn't seem to have helped but I may strip the whole thing down and reassemble it, although that's a pain because it means levelling and aligning the nozzles again... aaargh those grub screws.