Clicking on retract getting worse

Discussion in 'Titan' started by mrwizzardd, Nov 25, 2016.

1. mrwizzardd

mrwizzardd Member

Basically on first assembly i've meshed the gears properly, no backlash when moving the gear manually. Seemed fine then it started clicking on retract. maybe once out of say 5-6 in a row... then it increased... after a 2-3 hour print it was clicking on every retract.

i've re-seated a few times now, and it never goes away at this point. after checking for backlash manually it seems fine but at one spot there is, like the gear is defective (not 100% round?). i cannot adjust it anymore, there isn't any more wiggle room. it's not a case of it getting loose and moving, as the screws are tight and it just won't move any more than it has.

is there any other ideas that i can try or it is just defective? i have checked the metal gear too and it's tight on the motor. unless the motor has wobble but it got progressively worse.

Thanks

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a similar issue recently. Is the clicking on every retract?
    In my case it wasn't and the cause was a damaged bearing. I removed it from the cover and put the main gear. Then I rotated the gear by rolling it over a finger and pressing the gear slightly down. You could clearly hear and feel that the bearing was damaged...

3. mrwizzardd

mrwizzardd Member

k, i'll check that out. it happens on retract but does get worse. i've moved the housing around and gotten it better but there is still a spot where it will click on retract when it gets to that spot on the gear i assume. seems one part of the gear teeth might just be slightly larger than the rest, who knows. it seems something pushes it back further away as it runs since it starts getting worse the longer the print. trying some threat lock stuff on the bolts might help if they're getting loose but it seems tight. no idea. if i can't fix it i'll contact them about it as a possibly defective.

4. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Just a thought...it sounds mechanical your problem. But also be aware if you are messing the linear advance algorithm stuff in RC7 then that could make geared extruders sound rather odd.

5. rexsolomon

rexsolomon Member