Colorfabb HT

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Westsidee, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Westsidee

Westsidee Well-Known Member

I tried to print som parts with Colorfabb HT filament. I'm using Alex's S3D profiles and it printb ok. My problem is that my prints are very "hairy". I tried more retraction 4,50 mm and it is better but it's still there.

What setting do you guys use? Is there anyone with no hairs/strings? :)

IMG_2198.jpg

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have some spools HT but didn't test it yet.
    Some things I try when I have massive stringing is:
    1. Retraction - 4,5 is much, in general it is said don't use more than 2mm on a V6... Normally this is my last option, I stick to the 1.5mm, I don't like to test and test and often I don't get any noticeable results...
    2. Lower nozzle temp... This helps but often I start at the lowest recommended setting so I cannot reduce, but I try :D...
    3. Z lift on retraction... This is my favourite... Some materials like a Z hop about 0.25mm, some more than that, Colorfabb XT does not like any Z hop, PLA does like it IMHO, Edge also no Z hop...
    4. Faster travel speed, helps a bit sometimes...
    5. Wipe setting... This should help though I played with but you need about 3-5mm wipe to see an effect...

mike01hu and Westsidee like this.
  3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I'm with @Alex9779 on this with retraction at 1.5mm but I do find that it can change on a day by day basis and I can't determine why. Maybe it is the ambient air temperature and humidity but I have not researched this as I put up with it and clean the part. I find that the 0.25mm Z-hop works with all my filaments, including Edge(!), and I print at the default temperatures for most except PLA where I tend to stay at the lower end 195C to 200C depending on colour.

Alex9779 likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Think @mike01hu is right regarding temp and humidity theory influencing stringing. I have the same impression. Sometimes the same filament a day after print less stringy though manufactures tell you to keep it dry. Then the next day strings same print...
    But stringing often is just ugly right after the print and does often not influence the outer appearance of the part. With the right tools (sharp knife, sand paper, lighter) they are pretty easy to clean and to remove.
    The thing I had especially with XT and the retraction Z hop was the filament dripping out of the nozzle while traveling so especially thin walls had a very ugly rough surface because of the residues piling up on those lines on travel move right above them. Maybe increased Z hop would help too but zeroing the Z hop gave me the best results also the outer surface normally appears less uneven if you only move Z when really need aka a layer change...

mike01hu likes this.
  5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

30.5C+45%RH = Strings or some other quantum feature:rolleyes: Yes, and I have not sorted the X offset!:eek: 20160704_132656.jpg

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.