Colorfabb XT Print Issues.

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Syko_Symatic, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Can anyone help. I have the settings dialled in pretty well in terms of bottom layer and walls but the top of the print is awful.

Colorfabb XT Yellow.

245deg hot end
    85deg bed 1st layer. 75 onwards.
    45mm/s print.
    0 fan 1st layer. 30% onwards.
    4 top 4 bottom 4 perimeters.
    0.18mm layer height

Attached Files:

#1 Syko_Symatic, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Great photo but unfortunately the bit that we want to see - the top - is out of focus!

Any chance of another?

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  3. Syko_Symatic

I have edited the original post. Hopefully that ones better! It'll teach me for trying to do it fast!!

4. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Your fan speed is too low, should be at least 60% for top layers. start with 0% and increase with 5% increments per layer

Top and bottom layers should at least 1.2 mm so add some more layers. Also infill should be at least 20 %

Syko_Symatic likes this.
  5. Syko_Symatic

OK will try that. Thanks!

6. Syko_Symatic

Following your advice I have used the 2 layer 5% increases but at 60% I get thermal runaway issues. This is when I am printing the dual hot end part which is a pretty big flat area so this may be my issue. Any ideas? I am thinking about adding some extra code in so when the top layers are printing the fan speed goes up to 60% and then bring them back down, but this should be easier to solve. Think, think.....

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Some people have been putting kapton tape on the heater block to help keep it warm too.

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Something that is interesting to do:

if you peer into the electronics compartment when printing you can see a little LED for the extruder heater. (On my BB pro it's called HE0... You can figure out what it is by playing with the temperature controls.)

It may be off, may be flashing, may be full on.

If it's full on all the time (like it is when the BB is heating up) then that likely means the BB is working flatout to keep the nozzle at temperature (having to deal with the cold air and plastic arriving all the time). Which means it probably can't handle any more fan speed.

If, on the other hand, it's blinking on and off, well it probably could take a bit more fan!

mike01hu and Syko_Symatic like this.