Colour change Ply frame

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by RTBiscuit, Sep 12, 2016.

1. RTBiscuit

RTBiscuit Well-Known Member

Finally started the build of our new BB Dual, been looking forward to this for months. We have purchased it to expand our DT department (school) we couldn't justify the extra money for the snazzy Acrylic chassis, so we decided to custom mod.

I feel this is pretty tame in comparison to some of the stuff I've seen on here, but we have started with dying the frame using wood dyes.

we have a collection of brusho dyes that can then be varnished over. have mixed a custom teal colour and painted some parts teal and others in white.

advantage is you keep all the lovely grain pattern. current pictures look patchy but only because still damp. as it dries it all evens out.

big advantage is no brush marks, its like painting with water,

big disadvantage is forgetting to wear gloves and dyeing the ends of my fingers greeny blue.

will post updates and pictures as we go. but tomorrow will hopefully be PU varnish time.

Attached Files:

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you certainly won't lose that hiding in the corner!

3. RTBiscuit

I'm hoping the white sides and internal base will help tone it down.

that or i'll have to issue sun glasses to all the students.

4. RTBiscuit

A quick test fit this morning to make sure its not too visually over powering. not too bad, I think, just need to PU varnish them all before building.

quick question; does anyone know how to build a 3D printer that takes 20 hours, but has no spare time at work, and twins under 3 that wake if a door mouse sneezes. managed a couple of hours tonight only got the y axis carriers built. kids woke 4 times. at this rate holo decks will be mainstream by the time I finish.

Attached Files:

5. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Wow, looking good! Probably already know but take it easy on the varnish in case it means the tabs don't fit in the slots.

(Btw, the back plate goes the other way around)

RTBiscuit likes this.
  6. RTBiscuit

Thanks for the heads up, how many coats do most people apply, i was going for 1 maybe 2 thin coats.

7. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I can't help on that I'm afraid, mine's acrylic but I've had issues on laser cut models (aircraft).

8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

well the beauty of it being wood is if becomes a little tight you can sand it back!

Its recommended you seal the wood even if you don't colour them isn't it? So unless you're troweling the paint on it'll probably be fine.

Very striking look, I like it :D

9. RTBiscuit

currently spending the last 2 nights applying varnish. only enough table space to do the bed and the box of bits. when back in work will spread out and do all the other bits. got some detail work to do first. then on to the sub assembly. have finished parts assembly. thankfully have A level students to help varnish and seal. will upload finished pics of the frame when its all together, hopefully look more balanced. appreciate all the diplomatic responses :lol: