Combined heatbreak/nozzle

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Eloque, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Eloque

Eloque Member

On a well known Chinese site I see lots of clones of E3D-V6 and while I doubt the quality, I am quite partial to the idea of a combined heatbreak/nozzle.

One of the things I dislike about my E3D is the tightening of the nozzle into the heatbreak in the block. I've already snapped a nozzle clean off. It's really hard to tell when it's screwed on tight enough. Any chance you E3D will start making these themselves?

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

I would say that it is pretty unlikely, for a few reasons:

1.) Heatbreak should be poor thermal conductor, nozzle should good thermal conductor. Can't accomplish this if the materials are the same.
    2.) Nozzles would be more expensive, in excess of the cost of each part individually as it is more difficult to produce. So a "fun pack" of nozzles would cost something like $200... for 6 nozzles.
    3.) A hardened steel nozzle/heatbreak would be very expensive to produce.

I've swapped dozens of nozzles and never broken one, but if it is a concern I would recommend a torque wrench and not exceeding E3D's 3N-m torque spec.

3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

My Ormerod printer uses a combined heatbreak and nozzle made from stainless steel. It works really well. I guess the main disadvantage is that if you want to change nozzle size quickly, you need to swap the whole hot end.

4. Eloque

Eloque Member

Swapping the whole hotend is what I am doing now anyways, all but the cooling ribs. I have heatblock, sensor, fan, nozzle and break assemble and replace the whole set when changing nozzles.

5. Eloque

Eloque Member

I've yet to find a torque wrench that is that small and somewhat affordable. I have two torque wrenches, but they're automotive tools and a bit to formidable for 3nm.

Also, they are quite expensive, the $200 you'd spend on 6 nozzles wouldn't cover one of those wrenches I estimate. Maybe I should try and get one of those bike wrenches.