Commissioning of Dual - Z-Axis

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Alex9779, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there,

when starting to commissioning a ready built dual machine you start in the Wiki at Printer Commissioning and then get setup your Z axis and Leadscrews. At the very end of that chapter you have to adjust the height of the left and right side of the build plate by rotating the leadscrews manually and measure the height of the build plate with a ruler.

That's is fine so far for a normal Pro or Lite machine but for a dual you later get to the chapter where you have to calibrate your Z offset here. Ok, a dual has no Z offset because it does not use auto levelling.
    But in that chapter you are advised to rotate the leadscrews again manually to get the build plate up to the nozzles for adjusting the IR sensor.
    This is IMHO a problem because by manually rotating the leadscrews you may turn them not equally and so the adjusting of the previous chapter I described above is obsolete.

I'd propose to add a note in the first chapter for the leadscrews that this only applies to Lite/Pro machines at that stage and that Dual machine have to do this AFTER the Z offset chapter is done.

What do you think?

mike01hu likes this.
  2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway should be able to answer this, but it seems to make sense.

3. theTroll527

theTroll527 Well-Known Member

I think for leveling the bed for duel, you should use the print head itself. Move it to each corner and then make make the adjustments so that every part of the bed is the same distance from the head.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I talked about the commissioning process.
    The problem at this stage in a machine build why you have to move by hand is that you can't move the bed up by the menu because the machine thinks the bed is at 0 while it is in the middle of the printer. Only way to move would be to start autohome which is dangerous because the IR sensor is not leveled yet and your bed might crash into your head.
    So the build guide is correct in suggesting to move the bed by hand up until the nozzle touches the bed and then to level the IR sensor.
    All I wanna say is that if you leveled the side of your bed before that this leveling might be obsolete if you do not turn the motors equally.
    The guide should advise you to do the left/right leveling again or advise to skip the first one when you build a dual...