Comparison of E3D v6 and hexagon hotend

Discussion in 'General' started by strangebob, Feb 14, 2015.

1. strangebob

strangebob Member

Is anybody aware of a documented shootout between the hexagon hotends and the v6?
    I'm considering both, but am still undecided. The hexagon is cheaper and heater block is more elegant in terms of wire bending. However, the bottom cooling find seems unnecessarily thick, promoting vertical heat transfer and the heat brake is less convincing. Maybe somebody has compared them or you can share experience?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. ultibrain

ultibrain Member

Strangebob, I checked out the link, however it doesn't seems to work. Could you append your comparison to this post?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

5. elmuchacho

elmuchacho Member

Really good review Mike! What you describe is pretty much covering all aspect of someone that used both hotend.
    I've used both for a little while now and also use the new Hexagon AO. I don't think the hexagon is cheaper because the E3D come with the fan and shroud and screw to fix the fan when the hexagon doesn't and if we consider this than the hexagon is more expensive.

My condensed point are:

Hexagon:
    • Cons: tend to suffer a bit from blockage and somehow less friendly with different type of PLA. It has no fan shroud meaning you need to go on a hunt for a fan shroud that fit your machine or designing your own.
    • Pros: The new Hexagon AO has an an improved thermistor fitting systems a bit like the E3D but the heater cartridge is still secured with a grub screw and it's even shorter than old design.
    E3D V6:
    • Cons: bowden fitting is ok but could be better will still prefer a thread like the V5. I'll says provide some of this clip out of the box and this cons go away. (Should be considered as those come on an ultimaker bowden systems might be a reason). The retraction settings for bowden setup is tricky to find mine still produce a bit of stringing but I can increase retraction or it start blocking. It's a bit long from all the hotend I've tried it's the longest and will reduce a bit of the print height in some printer.
    • Pros: More nozzle options. More polyvalente with same hardware can be used with chimera or volcano and there is a lite version that reduce cost