Completed assembly/calibration. first prints

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Holten, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Holten

Holten Member

I haven't had much time to fine tune everything or look into the issues with these prints, but I'm happy with them for what they are.... first prints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

prime pillars didn't stick.....

[​IMG]

but it cleaned up nicely.

[​IMG]

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

With a decent prime routine, a prime pillar isn't really needed. The key is in managing the tool change correctly and this is a slicer challenge. What you want to happen seems clear:

At tool change, retract, lift, purge, change tool, prime, move above the next spot to print, drop to model, unretract, continue.

I think I largely have a routine with S3D and post processing that does this.

To get a prime pillar to stick you need it reasonably large to it can't be toppled by rotational forces, and you don't need the tool head bringing rubbish back. The potential benefit of the prime pillar, as I see it, is just to close the gap from the purge location back to the model and act as an ooze catcher, but the right routing and print settings can probably remove the need.

3. Holten

Holten Member

I agree. I haven't had a chance to as much as even look at the prime/purge routines. I'll avoid using a purge tower at all costs if possible. One of my other machines seems to do well with retraction and advance during pause/resume, I'll probably use that as a base to start with when changing tools. I've also gotten a silicone brush installed that I haven't had a chance to play with yet as well.

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Does the other machine have a bowden tube? If so what length? Or is it closer to direct drive?

5. Holten

Holten Member

It's direct drive extruder. ToolChanger is my first bowden printer so I'm not sure how retraction etc is affected one way or the other... yet.