connecting big box using ethernet

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by albert stouder, Apr 30, 2016.

1. albert stouder

I have essentially no experience with this sort of thing (3d printers). How do I connect the PC with the big box with octopi by ethernet so I can start printing?

I'll learn about the wireless later.

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

So steps are as follows at a high level.

Configure memory card to ensure it has OctoPrint loaded.
    Connect ether net cable
    Find out the IP address of your OctoPrint or try OctoPi.local as an address
    Connect to raspberry pi with putty to finish configuring the os
    Then connect to gui

It's in the setup guide quite well so follow that and shout with what steps you get stuck on and we can help point you in right direction.

Also if you just want to print load a gcode file on the included sd card and load it in front of printer and use control panel to print from there completely bypassing need to get OctoPrint configured just yet!

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Though on mine I found that with octopi plugged in but not configured, I couldn't actually print from SD direct, I had to unplug the usb cable to the pi first.

4. albert stouder

5. albert stouder

Thanks. I did not get a setup manual with my printer. Should I have received one with the printer. I searched for one at BB, but could only find the build manual. Appreciate your responses.

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

In the build manual there is a whole section for octoprint, When I was setting mine up it didn't exist yet so maybe bad timing? Check again its very good now :)