Connecting to the boards

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

Finally getting back to the build...
    Connecting the T0 cables to the board. The problem is the guide drops the ball totally and says NOTHING. Seems to assume you will look at the label and infer it. As such... the cables for T0 and T1 seem to me go to the Duetwifi while the T2 and T3 go to the extender board... Right???

2. Krayn

Krayn Well-Known Member

That sounds right. Visually tracing my wiring it looks like two extruders and the TC motor are on the duex5. For the most part the cable ends are labelled pretty well and using the config and the duet/duex wiring diagrams it's pretty easy to put it all together.

3. Andy Cohen

Perhaps. Still... images of the boards with the connectors per hotend highlighted/circled would have certainly helped. Especially since the Extender board and all the tiny labels are upside down.

4. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

I locked the orientation on my iPad in the end so I could hold the Duet pinout diagrams upside down to match the mounting :D

While it could be better in terms of the guide, I think the pre-made wiring loom is so well labelled (where as in other guides the guide is making up for a loom with no physical labels on it) that once you work out the labels on the loom as supposed to match those labels on the Duet boards it goes pretty fast.

The guide can always be enhanced but the wiring loom is for keeps once you have it so I'm glad a lot of effort went into labelling that well. Hopefully at some point the guides will get a refresh with the various things people have found during their builds.

5. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help (made it myself, not part of the manual).

[​IMG]

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I think that would be a good addition to the guide Rob. I think it's spot on now. Might be worth adding the colours of the wires going into the 24Vin. I know the board is marked with + and =, but they aren't the same order on both boards. Maybe add some arrows for clarity on the thermistor connections and alter to PT100 as those are headers for the daughterboard. On the Duex, it could be misinterpretted that your label also sits right next to an actual thermistor input.

7. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Thanks, I indeed need to clarify that. Since I didn't buy the wiring loom, I had to guess what goes where. Btw, skipping the wiring loom is only advisable if you have plenty of time and have been fooling around with a Bigbox (or any other printer). No braided sleevings, no metal stripes, no nicely labelled wiring with connectors. I had to guess the stepper wirings. I was lucky with the X, Y and C stepper, but the Z stepper wired different.

Anyway, I hope this picture is better:

[​IMG]

MintyBiglyPrints and Spoon Unit like this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

If you intend to add physical end stops for X and Y per https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3843642 then you'll also wire into the two end stop connections south of the Z Endstop, which in order at Y and X. Also the PT100 daughterboard on the Duex connects toward the center of the board, not the outside. I realise that fouls the diagram somewhat.

9. Andy Cohen

+1 on adding this to the guide. Well done!

BTW, I had quite a bit of fun swapping out the clone Mightyboard in my CR1 for Duetwifi(all discussed on the podcast as this build will be too). I had to replace all the cables and it was quite a task. The single most important aspect of doing it is crimping the connector pins. You MUST have an optimal, properly sized, ratcheted crimper and a LOT of practice.

Rob Heinzonly likes this.