Converting TC to use 2 Hemera tools with Duet 3 and Tool Boards

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by dc42, Mar 2, 2020.

1. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I've updated both of these blog entries over the past few days as I discover more about this conversion. For instance:
    • I needed to shift the docks for the remaining Bowden tools forward so that they could be picked up without the X axis fouling on the Hemera tools
    • I need about 1.6m of PTFE tubing for each Hemera tool, to go all the way from the spool to the tool
    • I now have printed dock adapters that shift the docks 8mm left and 15mm up, which should work for Hemera tools in dock positions 0 and 1 too
    • I've put my configuration files at https://github.com/Duet3D/RRF-machi..._Changer/dc42-duet3-centreZero-2Titan-2Hemera
    • When the machine has both Bowden and direct tools, it would be really useful to be able to set the firmware retraction parameters on a per-tool basis. So I've implemented this in the forthcoming 3.01-RC4 version of RepRapFirmware.

Nibbels likes this.
  4. Nibbels

Nibbels Well-Known Member

Retraction for me depends on
    the stiffness of the filament
    + type of extruder.
    Using tool based filament configurations I would have to put 4 lines of tested retraction settings into each filaments/config.g. They all will kind of contain a filaments retraction mm + tools additional retraction mm.

Another way:
    Loading the filament using M703 can be made in in tpostN.g. So the next tool should be known when filaments/config.g is processed.
    I guess I should be able to write a macro which contains conditional execution similar to this:
    tools[].retraction = (state.currentTool * X "+" tools[].retraction)
    ?

I personally wait for a propper solution to limit the print speed, but not the travel speed, according to the loaded filament. ^^

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I've achieved this by specifying the appropriate retraction settings in the relevant tpre. This assumes that you're not changing the type of tool all that regularly. If tools could hot swap, the tool board was recognized, and the appropriate retraction settings spun up, that would be cool.

6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

I've released RRF 3.01-RC5 for Duet 2, Duet 3 main board, and Duet 3 tool and expansion boards. The main improvements are support for multiple Z probes (not needed on a standard TC but may be useful in some variants) and support for object cancellation via M486.

I've also updated my config.g file in https://github.com/Duet3D/RRF-machi..._Changer/dc42-duet3-centreZero-2Titan-2Hemera. The change is to run the Hemera extruders in spreadCycle mode instead of stealthChop and to reduce extruder motor currents. I find that this gives more reliable extrusion.

Joe Pomo likes this.
  7. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

#7 dc42, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Nibbels likes this.
  8. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

Thanks for continuing to update this thread. I read your post, and I plan to implement this on my printer. Is conditional gcode working with SBC+Duet3?

9. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Joe Pomo likes this.