Copper Block, Titanium Heat Break?

Discussion in 'General' started by Miasmictruth, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried either of these new upgrade, if so how was your experience?

Do either of these improve prints with standard filaments are are they only really useful with High Temp filaments?

Thanks.

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The copper block will only make a real difference for higher temperatures (anything above 250°C). It also has a higher thermal mass compared to an aluminium block, so will result in longer heat up times. The titanium heat break will not have a huge impact on printing, but they are les likely to bend during hot tightening and should make your heatsink cooler, reducing the chances of jamming slightly.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Greater thermal mass would seem to be a benefit as once heated to temperature it would make for less temperature variation as long as the heater itself could keep up. It may be a problem if after the first layer you wanted to drop the temperature e.g I print Edge at 230 or 240 to get it to adhere to the Uhu coated glass bed, but want to print at 220 ish after that, this with Al means the temp does not drop particularly quickly after the first layer, Cu would be worse in this case.

How does titanium rather than (stainless steel?) make the heatsink cooler?

4. Antoine

Staff Member

5. sergey stephanian

i'm using both . my aluminium block was damaged at temps close to 300c , so i switched to copper block .
    also using TI heat break as i had high temp filament melting inside my SS heat break and clogged .lower thermal conductivity of TI is a plus.
    i dont know what grade SS is used in original heat break , so i'm not sure if the TI one is actually stronger.
    there are SS grades which are stronger then TI .

6. Antoine

Staff Member

In our case, the Ti grade used is much stronger that the SS used in the breaks. See the links posted above.