Correct procedure for testing or setting belt tension?

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Ntesla66, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

@Greg Holloway , what is the correct procedure for testing or setting belt tension? How do you folks set it before shipping?

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

We have an application which listens to the belt frequency and we base it off that.

mhe likes this.
  3. Ntesla66

Ntesla66 Active Member

Okay... Where do you park the carriage? Which belt do you pluck? What frequency do you tune it to?

Aluminati, mhe and Jai Stanley like this.
  4. CrazyCreator

CrazyCreator Member

Which Application you mean?

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Gates Carbon Drive, on google play store.

mhe likes this.
  6. CrazyCreator

CrazyCreator Member

Ahhhhh ... You mean this app ... ok, i know.

7. Aluminati

Aluminati Member

I don't know if this is in the documentation for the Tool Changer, but I think this information would be valuable to have, at least as a starting point. Where the belt is plucked would also be helpful.

How I set my tension was a bit involved, and I didn't begin with the intention of setting the tension. I was attempting to determine the accuracy of the the X axis Hiwin rail the carriage rides on. I also did it before I put the printer together. But, I'm sure something could be worked out even with the printer assembled. Perhaps using depth micrometers.

First I set a 2x3 granite plate on my cast iron table saw. They were the two most flat things I had available. I then set the motion system plate so the back of the system was facing down and the top side of the motion system was clamped against the plate. (See crude drawing) Then I had a height gauge on the granite plate with a Brown and Sharpe test indicator attached to the height gauge.

I then used the test indicator to measure the difference at each end of the rail. At this point I was just trying to determine if the Hiwin rail was parallel to the surface of the granite plate and equidistant from the plate on each end. But, I kept getting strange measurements, I don't remember exactly what they were, but they led me to realize that the belts were playing a role in the accuracy of the measurements of the rail.

So, I moved the rail up and down along the Y axis and checked the measurements on each end. I did this several times and checked in several locations along the Y axis. I consistently had a difference of about .01 in or .0254mm. So, I adjusted the belt tension on one side until I could move the X rail along the Y axis and get a consistent measurement on each end of the Hiwin rail within .001 in or .00245mm. I don't remember exactly how much I had to tighten the tension, but it wasn't much, maybe half a turn of the screw.

Belt Tension Setup.png

Ntesla66, mhe and Greg Holloway like this.