Crimping advice...

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Paul Meyer, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

Got my kit Thursday, assembling now, and happened to notice the crimp terminals that came with the duets.

I did purchase the preassembled wire harness, but I suspect that is designed for the standard titan/v6 tools. I’m currently planning one direct drive Hemera, possibly a Bowden Hemera (don’t even know if it is possible), and exploring other options later. I’m also interested in alternate Bowden extruder mounting positions (above the printer pointing down, rather than at the back of the printer).

That said, I am interested in gaining the skill of building professional looking and safe custom wire harnesses. It generally seems like a useful skill to have. I’ve got a crimping tool that looks like it will do the job (iwiss 2549).

Any advice other than “practice, practice, practice” and “have patience”? Any suggested tools or practices?

Paul

2. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Yea: grip the ferrule in the crimpers by ratcheting them one or two clicks, so you can poke the stripped wire in with one hand, and crimp with the other....

Remember to go out and get yourself some PETG braid and various sized heat shrink, Plus maybe a label maker if you want to be extra bufty...

[​IMG]

3. yngndrw

yngndrw Well-Known Member

After crimping, don't be afraid to give the wire a good tug to make sure it has been gripped well. It's better to have to re-do it than for it to fall off while in-use.

4. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

I got my first practice on 'tiny' crimping doing the bed => duet connectors (Molex KK, I think). Went very well, much more professional looking than I expected (nice symmetrical folds). I've got a bunch of JST connectors left over from RC plan days, I may have to pull some out and practice.