Currents

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by orcinus, Aug 27, 2019.

1. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

2. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Well, I was just coming online to post a question about stepper currents. My X/Y motors run VERY hot. They have done since I built the machine, too hot to touch when operating in open air! I was going to lower them and thought I'd check the forum.

Now they have started clicking. I suspect the bearings in them are failing through a combination of heat and the tension of the belt.

I'm going to try your settings and report back. Probably going to have to replace the bearing in these motors too. I might look into a way of supporting the motor shaft with a bearing so the tension of the belts isn't presenting such a load on them.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

The X,Y motors are Moons Motors rated for 2A, so even if they feel hot, they are rated for that current. Clicking is much more worrying for X,Y, but could be the result of other settings. Your config.g file might help, assuming you no longer have the original.

4. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Just FYI, I've been running mine at the current settings from the first post ever since i posted that.
    So far, 0 issues with it.