Custom Tool Changer

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Zughal, Aug 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Zughal

Zughal Member

Good Day Folks,
    I am looking forward to having a custom version of tool changer made for me. I want about 700xy, and something similar on z.
    I belong to a family whose business in making patterns for castings, that should explain why I need such a big print area. We are currently using CNC for this process but the time now demands that we jump into 3d printing. Currently there is no such system that can do this. The Tool changer is best for this.
    If someone who has the skills and know how to do this, kindly reply so that we can start an amazing project.
    Thanks,
    Zughal

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello,

I have dabbled in toolchangers a bit in the last year or two. Have you written down the specification you want?

Michael Pearson and Paul Arden like this.
  3. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

:D Master of understatement.

4. Zughal

Zughal Member

First of all thank you good sir for replying
    Secondly I am going to make that reply of yours a meme

Thirdy, the specifications are,
    700xy, similar on z. Hemera on all additive heads, one with v6, volcano and super volcano. 4th for that asmbl.
    Again thank you for replying, you are role model for me and I am very much honoured by your reply

5. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

What's your budget?

6. Zughal

Zughal Member

Give me quote

7. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

You'll be looking at about £15,000, for a toolchanger of 700x700x700 build volume. I expect I could get 8-10 tools on it, they would be extra ontop of the £15,000 base price though.

Cost factors would be what precision and accuracy you want, print speeds, which materials you want to print with and other considerations such as enclosed build volume, and a heated bed.

Equivilent non-toolchanger machines, like those from 3d platform (https://www.3dplatform.com/) come in somewhere around the $30,000 $40,000 price range.

If you are serious about getting a bespoke large format toolchanging printer you will need to get a budget, and a more adequate specification. Or a list of features and functions that you need the machine to have.

if you are looking to make castings do you need high precision printed moulds or will the castings be post-processed in a CNC and milled to specification?

Do you have any photographs of the castings you make or or the moulds? What is your company name and were are you based?

8. Zughal

Zughal Member

First of all thank you for giving me your time

Now I will tell you why 15000 on a printer is insane, in my case
    First of all I live in a 3rd world country where this investment does not make sense, considering 99.99% of parts produced here are made on manual lathes.
    Secondly, CNC is hailed as elite machining. Literally, people here think that CNCs are just so so better, and they are. And the cncs that are used here are usually 20-30 years old.
    Thirdly, part quality is usually on the low end. Parts here are made as replacement, not meant to be better or even equal to the quality of the Original component, the Patterns for castings that we make are for machines are about 40 year old and there is no way of getting a new part for them other than getting it made.
    Further on, the casting process itself here is of no accuracy. The patterns them self are off by 1-3 mm on any side, while when they get cast, the pattern are handled so badly that God knows how bad the accuracy gets than. So as a general rule of thumb, we produce over-sized patterns, the castings of which are later on milled on lathes, which is not our headache
    Lastly, 15000 on a pilot project just doesn't make sense. To give you a picture, I already have a print farm of several CR10 S5s and ender 3s, and they do their job quite remarkably. This machine that I am asking to be built, is mainly here to, produce Advertisement parts that will make people go wow, and a platform for growth of my skills.
    8-10 tools isn't what I need. I use PETG mostly, even for that I have my very own extrusion machine. (Can't beat $5/kg ;)). Still I would love to able to print High end 400+ temp materials with a heated chamber.
    I would like a respectable speed, the machines that I use are painfully slow. 40mm/s, isn't very convincing when you are running machines 24/7.
    Oh and I also forgot, we work for the army. and this project will be shown to the higher ups and if it convinces them, we might ask for many more. Its pilot project after all.
    Thank you,
    Zughal

9. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

You are likely going to be out of luck, unless you design and build the machine yourself.

10. Joe Pomo

Joe Pomo Well-Known Member

If you want to build one yourself, you can likely keep the cost lower, but you'll need to figure out which compromises you're willing to have in the end-result - print speed, quality, etc. For instance, here is a large tool-changing printer which uses 3D printed parts and metal pipe for framing, common steel rods and bearings for motion.

It also uses low-cost RAMPs controllers combined with raspberry pis running Klipper firmware. It is set-up with 9 tools, but you could certainly use fewer tools if you want.

http://printcepts.com/videos.html

Greg Holloway likes this.