Cyclops - backflow issue

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by Shawn Bremaud, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Shawn Bremaud

Shawn Bremaud Member

I'm at my wits end and my voice is getting hoarse from all the swears I've been directing at this hotend.

Was almost done a big set of upgrades to my Tornado (cable chain, dual Z, lerdge-k board, petsfang cooler & cyclops hotend), but this cyclops+ (air) is pissing me off.

I can only get it to extrude from one extruder....but the kicker is, it isn't a specific extruder, but actually the first extruder used after clogs are cleared and machine is heated up.

Ex. E0: White PLA @ 200C, E1: Orange PLA @ 200C

Both are fed all the way into the hotend while it is cold.
    Heat up cyclops to 200C
    Feed Orange from E1, extrudes fine.
    Feed White from E0, extruder grinds, no filament is taken in and nothing extrudes.
    Return to Orange on E1 and can continue extruding fine.
    Cool down.
    Disassemble hotend, clear orange filament from white side heat tube (lower threaded portion)
    Reassemble hotend.
    Feed filament into both sides all the way while cold.
    Heat to 200C.
    Feed White from E0, extrudes fine.
    Feed Orange from E1, extruder grinds, no filament is taken in and nothing extrudes.
    Return to White on E0 and can continue extruding fine.

I heat-tightened all parts @ 260C, balls bearings are inserted and tightened down until grub screws are nearly flush to body.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. Shawn Bremaud

Shawn Bremaud Member

Nevermind....fixed the backflow by manually priming both sides, but still underextrudes. Esteps are calibrated, so bottleneck is the Cyclops mixing chamber....cleaned it out multiple times, works for a bit, then extrusion slows down again and I'm back where I started.

I've been at this for two weeks, multiple hours a day with this piece of shit. Complete waste of my time and money. Putting stock hotend back on so I can at least use my printer.

And in case of the inevitable "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools"-type comment, I've done extensive upgrades to 4 other printers, built a MPCNC and tuned all these devices, so I know my way around. If the Cyclops requires all that fiddling for every print just to avoid clogs, it's not worth my time....maybe someone local will want to tinker with it and I can get a fraction of my wasted money back.