Cyclops issue will not extrude from one side

Discussion in 'Multi-Extrusion' started by RURC, Jun 8, 2016.

1. RURC

RURC Member

OK guys I am an intermediate 3D guy. My son is a much higher intermediate guy than I.

We are both about to have lasers come out our eyes.

We have installed the Cyclops system very successfully on out See Me CNC MAX V2. One side works like a charm the other side will not extrude at all.

First thought was heater placement. So we moved the heater element deeper into the through hole to where it is almost all the way through. Nothing. The feeder motor just grinds a gouge into the material.

the material is PLA. Temperatures tried are from 200 to 230 C.

I am getting Piano wire tomorrow to attempt to go from side to side by removing the access screws that fill the machining holes. even if I take the material that works in the one side and put it in the other side it still will not extrude.

I know I am crazy but I am just at a complete loss here.

HELP ANY AND ALL WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

It sounds like there's a jam, potentially in the heat break. I'd tear it down and melt out any polymer with a heat gun or similar. Best not to use a torch if you can avoid it.

3. RURC

RURC Member

Will a heat gun get that hot? My Milwaukee wont.

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

RURC likes this.
  5. RURC

RURC Member

Off to buy a new hot air gun today. Mine is about 10 or more years old.

Going to try this and see if I can get it fixed. The problem I have is that this is NEW and it has never flowed from that side. That is why I think it is a machining error. I did not inspect the porting upon arrival.

Thank you.

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Could be a machining error - that should become apparent once the polymer is melted out. If that's the case I expect wherever you bought it from would be happy to set up an exchange.

Note also that there's steel balls that are pressed into the channels, it might be difficult to get those out.

RURC likes this.
  7. RURC

RURC Member

OH I forgot about the balls in there. Oh well lets see where it all goes. I will report later tonight on the heatgun job and see if that works.

8. RURC

RURC Member

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. Had it not been for your ideas I would not have thought to inspect it the way I did.

OK I have good news it appears to be cleared.Damn blockage was in the heat transfer part going into the heat sink. I took off the heat sink and heated it to 230C I then took a 2mm allen wrench and pushed it through. So that is clear.

:)

But I now have a new issue. How important is the ball bearing in the machining access hole under the allen set screw? And can anyone tell me the size of it as it flew out and I have no idea where it went.

So one problem fixed and a new one of my own making.

9. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

2.34mm. If you need one and are in the US, get in touch via the Filastruder contact form.

RURC likes this.
  10. RURC

RURC Member

Well digging in the manual and I found one of two references to the ball size, 2.5mm
    [​IMG]
    2.5mm shown sitting in hole.

So I call my local ball bearing shop (no seriously I have a great one just a mile away from home), but his metric only goes down to 3mm but he has a 3/32nd (2.381mm). So I have my son go there and pick up a couple. So I get home from work and my son has everything ready. So I take the ball bearing and try to get it in the hole and it wont go. So I pull out the calipers and they gave him the wrong one. A 3.175mm (1/8th inch).

Gosh darn-it cant anything be simple on this job.

The real nice thing is that E3D has been very generous and sent me ball bearings in the mail. I really appreciate this.

I was hoping to have this done before we leave for the weekend. My son is an Olympic archer and we have a state competition tomorrow and Sunday. He is the reining champion in Olympic recurve and Olympic bare bow. So we have to go.