decreasing weight

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Acapella, Apr 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Hi I'm trying to decrease the weight of the print carriage. I've printed the 1.1 version hot ends and am using my bigbox with a Bowden set up (currently a bigbox pro) now that I have moved the motor from the carriage I'm thinking I probably don't need the torque from the nema motor which moves the x axis. My question is if I have dual Bowden hot ends what would be a lighter replacement nema motor that would do the same job as the one I currently have?

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I think that's an interesting question, and if nobody is answering it, it may be that you're a pioneer!

Good thing is that these motors are not super expensive so you could do some trial and error....

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Good idea. I am still building my dual. I'm having internal discussions about if I should go with two titans in hybrid or lighter direct motors. Anyways it would be lighter then the big original dual motors.

Give it a go. Buy a couple of alternatives and report back :D

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

It is possible, but if you change the motor of the x-axis, you would loose acceleration speed on that axis (because of the lower torque) and thus your prints will be slower.

#4 Rob Heinzonly, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Its actually the jerk setting I'm trying to improve, I'm thinking if I can decrease the mass of the carriage then I can decrease my jerk values for x/y.

6. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

OK. I thought you were talking about replacing the X-axis motor.

7. Acapella

Acapella Active Member

Yes it is the X axis motor I'm wanting to change, to one with a lower mass version, however I'm having difficulty finding one with 400 steps per revolution AND with the detachable cable connection. Any suggestions?

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Don't get hung up on the connector issue...

Two minutes with a soldering iron is a small price to pay for a breakthrough discovery! ;)