Did the heater block change or did I get a bad one?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by mrwigglebee, Apr 2, 2014.

1. mrwigglebee

mrwigglebee New Member

I received my hotend order today. (Thank you for the gummy snacks. Nice touch.) Upon inspection of the heater block you sent me, I noticed it is considerably different from my other two E3D heater blocks. My new one is missing holes and the holes that are there appear to be shifted in relation to my other blocks. The new block does not have a hole for a thermistor (as far as I can tell), but has a super-tiny, shallow hole centered with the threaded hole. The thermistors I have will not work with it. Is this a new design or is it a quality control issue? It was not what I was expecting and looks like I will need to modify it to work, but I want to be sure I understand first. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. picapau

picapau New Member

You've missed information on the blog about thermistors. New blocks are designed to work with semitec, E3D stoped selling epcos so thers no need for special place for it.

4. MyMakibox

MyMakibox Member

there was also an intermediate version with both size holes. Not sure if it is still available.

5. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, this is the new heater block design, there have been a few changes since the start of v5 - primarily due to us using new thermistors.

You are fine to drill the hole out to make it a bit larger or deeper (e.g. for an Epcos thermistor). Don't go any deeper than 3mm (at 4.5 you will start damaging the M6 thread).

Sorry about this not being more clear, we did not really want to move away from Epcos to Semitec and so were forced to change the design of the block.