Different thermistor, don't know how to assemble properly

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Jeroen, May 21, 2016.

1. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Hi,

I just received my first E3D V6, purchased from 123-3d.nl. While everythying seems legit, the thermistor supplied with the hotend is of a completely different type than what is mentioned in the documentation, and I can't figure out how to properly mount it. Instead of a glass bead with legs that I expected (and am familiar with), I got this:

IMAG0389.jpg

Has E3D switched to a different type of thermistor? Or is this a PT100 I read about? How do I go about mounting this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

2. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Ok, so I figured out this a type k thermocouple, instead of the regular thermistor supplied with the e3d. I have no idea why 123-3d.nl would ship their e3d kit with a thermocouple instead of a thermistor. Still, the question remains: how should I properly install the thermocouple?

In addition, the e3d site states "Note that you will probably need additional hardware to connect the couple to your controller board." I use a RAMPS 1.4 board. What "additional hardware" would I need to connect a thermocouple instead of a thermistor?

Thanks,

Jeroen

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Search the forum on RAMPS, I'm sure there is at least one other post on a similar subject, the person who posted this is likely to know the solution.

But they had a PT100 so maybe not. :-(

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

You would need a thermocouple amplifier board to use that, probably best to just exchange it for a thermistor.

5. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Yeah, luckily I still had some thermistors lying around, and used those instead of the thermocouple. Everything works now.

Thanks for the input!

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

7. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Yes, they changed the description after I contacted them about it.

8. RogerBritt

RogerBritt New Member

Hi...as you said it is not thermistor so i think you can't use it without the help of amplifier. So go for the thermiste\or instead of thermocouple. Because it is not easy to use them. I am interested to know that for which purpose you want to use this, i mean what exactly you are building?