DIfferential IR Sensor...Wonkyness..

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by 3DogModeling, Apr 16, 2017.

1. 3DogModeling

3DogModeling Active Member

So a few month ago I had to move my BigBox Titan Dual and ever since have had issues with having a consistently level bed and just getting Z height to stay the same(which it won't do). In my hunting around for a solution found that the IR sensor is only suppose to flash 2 times at startup...mine flashes 4 times.

Can someone give me some instruction on how to calibrate this sensor or how to test if it is even good, because I'm really questioning its viability right now. But I'm open to the fact it could just be miss configured.

Thanks!

2. 3DogModeling

So found a couple references to process to calibrate and best practice for bed leveling(which included some steps I've never done). I now have a working machine again.

3. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Hmm, replied to your first post before I read your last :D

Please link to whatever you found or let us know what steps you did.

4. 3DogModeling

So I leveled the bed, ran through the manual be leveling routine, save values to memory(found that this doesn't always work), ran M500, then started a print and used the Tune function to get Z height just right(this and the M500 steps I wasn't aware of in the past and they seem to have made all the difference).

I have done multiple prints in a row with virtually zero deviation in Z height!

5. cez

cez Well-Known Member

do you have a link to the original article?

6. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

7. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

If it flashes 4 times instead of twice when connected to a Rumba, that means either that the output wire is broken, or your Rumba is taking longer than 4 seconds to enable the pullup resistor. Later firmware versions allow 5 seconds instead of 4. The fix is either to find and fix the issue that is causing your electronics to take so long to start up, or add a pullup resistor of between 47K and 100K between the sensor output and Vcc pins.

HTH David