Direct Feed Extruder Block for e3dV5

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by HeZzA, Oct 2, 2014.

1. HeZzA

HeZzA Member

Hello All,

I feel like this question is likely to have been asked before but I cannot seem to find it with a search.

I have an E3D V5 1.75mm hot end. I installed it in place of my 3mm Magma hot end on my makerfarm prusa i3 with the 3mm wades extruder block.

I have seen that other people have had issues with this extruder block being 3mm whilst nozzle is 1.75. I have not had issues with this.

The issue that I encountered is the top of the E3D heat sink that fits into the cavity of the extruder block is shorter than that of the magma. So when the extruder block is tightened down to the x carridge, it does not hold the E3D firmly vertical. I have been able to successfully print using a hacky solution of cutting a circular piece of 1mm sheet metal and installing it between the heat sink and the extruder block - however this is just a temporary fix and it is starting to come loose again.

The aluminium bracket that held the Magma hot end in place is also too short for the E3D.

I see a couple of possible solutions on thingiverse, however as it will take me several attempts to get a usable print I am hoping that someone can point me towards one that is known to work well. Ideally I would like to stay with a modified Gregs - so that I do not have to reprint the entire assembly and wait for nuts/bolts/springs/bearings/etc to arrive.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Could try picking up a E3D groove mount plate from either E3D (if you're in the UK) or myself (filastruder.com) if you're in the US.

3. HeZzA

HeZzA Member

I am in Australia. Unfortunately shipping is a pain here takes weeks and costs twice as much as the item.
    Looks like my best option is to print an extension to the magma groove plate to make it fit.

If that fails then I guess I will go ahead and buy a groove mount. I see that E3D and yourself only list the V6. Are they the same dimensions as V5?

4. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Yes indeed. I agree about the shipping, was just mentioning it might be worthwhile to include in your next order of nozzles or other spares.