Direct Titan on hybrid and PTFE tube

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Sarah Nicholson, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any hints on how to get the thin walled PTFE feed tube for the direct Titan on the hybrid carriage inside the end of the Titan idler lever? It just doesn't want to go in, and it's so thin you can hardly exert any force on it without crushing it. I've tried putting a length of scrap filament inside to stiffen it but the bugger still won't cooperate. I've thought about trying to soften it with hot water, any other ideas?

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I cut it at a very steep angle |/ Like that so it can kind of compress, You could even just cut a slit up the tube a little way so it could fold over itself.

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Thanks Chase, I will try those ideas.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

At first try to clean the hole in the lever. In mine there was some residue from molding, there were some thin plastic parts in there somehow related to the molding tool and slide-ins in the area not perfectly sealed. I used a drill by hand scraping that additional material away.

Secondly I am using the thick tube now and I ground the end of the tube to reduce its diameter a bit...

Remember you will have to move it in and out frequently so hardly getting it in one time is no real solution...

5. jet

jet Well-Known Member

My tubes are all slightly over 4mm in diameter and the first Titan I tested had a opening of 3.8mm. I think @Alex9779's idea to clean out the guide is what I'm doing next.

6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Where do you get the thicker tube from Alex?

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I ordered 1.75mm bowden tube from E3D. That is one which is thicker than the ones provided with the BigBox. It was the same as in the hotend packages...

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Thanks Alex, I'll order some with my next filament order. Now on vacation for a couple of weeks! :D

9. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Those are 4mm OD by 2mm Id, the thin ones are 3mm ID