Direct vs Bowden e3dv6 differences?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Jimbo, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Hi all. I'm wondering if someone can highlight the specific differences between the direct drive and bowden versions of the e3dv6 hotend.

I've ordered the e3dv6 hotend in direct drive configuration to go with a bondtech BMG extruder and I'm beginning to wonder if I ordered the correct version of the hotend for this application. When looking at the e3dv6 components on the shop, it would seem that the hotend in 1.75mm i the same for both direct or bowden setups... I however am probably mistaken, so looking for some advice.

Initially I had planned to go direct drive on the x gantry but I'm now hesitant after reading that print speeds are affected with increased x gantry weight and now think I should try the bowden setup.

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The 1.75mm version of the heatsink is the same for both direct and bowden, as we have been able to miniaturise the bowden coupling to integrate it into the groovemount. If you want your hotend in the direct-drive configuration, remove the black clip from the top of the sink (if it is already inserted). If you want it to be in the bowden configuration, make sure the black clip is pushed into the top of the sink and add the blue collet clip to reduce lash.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Great info, thanks Antoine. I had thought that I may have to either order more parts or return the hotend to exchange it.