Disappointed after upgrading to E3D v6

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Ovt, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Ovt

Ovt Member

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded from a J-Head with 0.5 mm nozzle to a E3D v6 0.4mm nozzle (all 3mm) direct.

I only upgraded as my resistor in the J-Head broke, and even though I fixed it with a new cartridge, I was excited about the change to an E3D and improve with a 0.4mm nozzle.

I am using PLA, updated simplify3D with the new nozzle diameter, and the rest of the parameters remaining the same.

I am completely unable to achieve consistent prints with the E3D... I am constantly getting random under extrusion. I use the same gregs extruder, same motor, same everything. With the J-Head everything works flawlessly, but with the E3D there is no way I get a nice print.

Any ideas ???

So far the only thing I've done is to increase a little bit the current in the driver, but no changes at all.

I am seriously considering removing the E3D and reinstalling the J-Head at this point

Photo: Left J-Head print, right E3D.... same plastic, same temperature.

Attached Files:

2. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is recalibrate the extrusion from scratch if you haven't already done so - as you would if building a new machine. After that, I'd probably start with adjusting the temperatures (up) a little - different hotends and different thermistors all have slight differences in temperature characteristics, so even if nothing else changed, I'd not be at all surprised if you need some temperature adjustments for the same filament.

3. Ovt

Ovt Member

I will try now the same STL with a 10, 15 and 20 ºC temperature increase and let you know ;)

4. Ovt

Ovt Member

Basically the same, but getting worse as temperature increases due to too much plastic being extruded in the corners and retractions.
    I think I am going back to the J-Head :/

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Where did you buy the v6?

6. Ovt

Ovt Member

e3d-online... it is an original one.

I have spent the whole day trying different things and I am not happy with the performance. I am waiting for a piece to finish, I will put the J-Head back and I will share the results.

7. Ovt

Ovt Member

First photo is what I get with the E3D... some layers with under extrusion (the misalignment in the middle part was me... pulling a bit on filament to discard the extruder not being able to cope with 0.4 instead of 0.5 mm nozzle as it has to puss a bit more I guess).

Second photo is a much much longer print with the J-Head. As good as it gets with that hot end and nozzle.

IMG_1828.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You do not say what your printer is, whether it is Bowden or Direct and what your other settings are related to extrusion such as layer height, as this will become important as the nozzle diameter is changed. It's tricky to see what is going on but I have a suspicion that there is a mechanical issue here as well. Is there any free play in the mount and is the path from the extruder to the hotend true?

Regarding the shift from 0.5 to 0.4, the extruder will not be working any harder, in fact it will be less because the amount of filament extruded is less, also all extrusion changes are managed by the slicer where you will have dialled in the changes. It is normal to keep the layer height to no more than 75% of the nozzle diameter, so in this case no bigger than 0.3mm.

Good luck!

9. Ovt

Ovt Member

Well, that's true I didn't provide all the info... just the frustration !

I am using a Prusa i3 with gregs extruder and NEMA17, therefore Direct. There is no free play once the hotend is installed and secured.

Both hot ends have been used with 0,2 mm layers. Also, I have modified Marlin for the E3D after an PID calibration to 200º and 10 cycles.

In the J-Head I had retraction selected to 2mm and for the E3D I have been trying from 1 to 0.5 mm (I will try 0mm next even though the parts will be unusable due Blobs, just to give it a try).

Yesterday I reinstalled the J-Head and printed a couple of things with no issued at all... I have just swapped them again and I'll start the print with 0 retraction.

Thanks !

10. mike01hu

I understand the frustration! My experience with the V6 has been good using 0.2mm layers, 1.5mm retraction, higher temperatures for PLA (200-210C) and the sock fitted so I can use high cooling from layer 5 up; I also tweak the extrusion multiplier during the layer 1&2 process to ensure good track width control then incorporate that in the slicer (S3D) for subsequent builds with that filament; every damned filament seems to need tweaking. What was important was to fit the nozzle exactly to the E3D guide to ensure that the sock allowed the nozzle tip to be clearly visible as filament drag can be an issue. I mostly print with Edge and the performance is generally very good; XT-CF20 is a pain with too much blobbing but that's 3D printing for you!;)

11. mike01hu

I just had another look at your pictures and there is a little "Z" wobble in both examples that may influence your results but it is minor. The parts are interesting, do you mind saying what they are?

12. Ovt

Ovt Member

You are absolutely right, one of the threaded rods isn't completely straight... I have some lead screws on the way to fix and upgrade that.

The parts belong to a monster project. A Saturn V rocket (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:911891). So far I've used 2 kg of black filament and I am starting with the white parts now...

That is the latest test with NO retraction at all. Again, as this part is unusable due to the blobs, I played a bit with different speeds when almost reaching the top (as you can see on the edge of the part)

IMG_1830.JPG