Do It Myself Octoprint Upgrade

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by George Hartzell, May 28, 2017.

1. George Hartzell

Slowly, but surely, I'm assembling my printer.

I'm at the step of installing the octoprint upgrade and I can't find it. Sure enough went back to the paperwork in the box and the paperwork in my mailbox and it seems that I didn't order it. Don't know what I was thinking.

What parts should I assemble to Do It Myself

• Raspbery Pi. Is a 3 useful? I have several 2's kicking around, would they work?
    • Is there anything magical about the DC-DC converter? This seems to be the one: https://www.amazon.com/SMAKNĀ®-7V-24V-Output-Converter-KIS-3R33S/dp/B00N2G5HKC
    • 1 x USB A To Micro B. How long should this be?
    • 1 x USB A To Mini B. How long should this be?
    • 1 x Red|Black Wire. What is the name of the connector? What gauge is the wire?
    THANKS!

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

The Raspberry Pi 3 probably requires modifying the Right panel. The Raspberry Pi 2s shipped with the BigBox kits had an ejection spring to help kick the SD card out. You press the card in with something narrow enough to go through the slot in the frame and the spring pushes it out far enough for you to grab it. The frame design took advantage of this thus there's barely enough room for the card to eject and no room for fingers to get into the frame to fish it out if it doesn't stick out.

The newer Raspberry Pis lack the ejection spring so there would be no way to get the card out once installed. Some careful work with a Dremel could make some sort of opening for your fingers. Alternatively you might put a tab of some really sticky tape on the SD card to give you a tab to pull the card out.

3. George Hartzell

@Ephemeris -- Thanks!

Just read through the kickstarter posting, seems that the kit also included the 5MP camera. Would the newer 8MP camera work or should I scrounge up an older model?

4. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

The 8MP camera works well with it. There are a few threads in Guides, Mods and Upgrades with lots of details on settings, tweaks etc to get the most out of it. Sorry but I don't have time to go find them and link right now, but you should hopefully be able to find them there.

5. George Hartzell

@jfb -- Thanks, I'll search and read.

6. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

You'll also need to source the longer camera ribbon cable if you intend to put the RPI in the designed location. I put tape on my sd card to remove it but in fact once installed and set up the only time you should need to remove it is if you want to take the base off (really honestly put a sticker on the underside of the printer to remind you to do this as you undo the screws)

7. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

Amazon has ALL reauired parts for the upgrad if you want eas sourcing

8. George Hartzell

How long is the cable that comes with the kit? Amazon has a bunch of different lengths.

9. George Hartzell

I think that I have everything figured out *except* the red and black wire pair that runs power from the rumba to the power converter.

Seems like it's a standard connector, but the only idea I've come up with is to scrounge it off a dead muffin fan or something. Is there a name for that connector, and or some way to describe the cable to search for it?

10. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

That is a Mini-PV Basics 2 position rectangular housing connector receptacle 0.100" pitch, non polarized. This is a so-called Dupont or Berg connector. You can order the real thing from a supply house like Digi-Key or get cheap no-names from eBay by searching for Dupont connector.