SOLVED Does the BigBox 1.1 RC6 do filament calibration on nozzle 1?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Proto_BB, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Proto_BB

Proto_BB Well-Known Member

I have a BigBox 1.1 and I was hoping to get my first print today. I thought I would use the direct extruder as to me that makes more sense when starting out. I fed the filament through nozzle 2 (the right nozzle) and did the steps in the manual. Nothing happened. It looks like the code is for nozzle 1?

How does one do the "120mm" filament length calibration on the bowden side? Pushing in the PTFE tube down into the hot-end was a nightmare. I hardly want to pull it out to measure the filament. And is Nozzle 1 really the primary nozzle for use being bowden?

Do I have to hack the GCode to get this working or?

2. Proto_BB

Actually I don't think I could remove the tube from the Bowden side. The little tube holder is not exposed so pulling it out and putting it back in seems unlikely. Maybe it's calibrated down at the spool?

I would really like to do this with the direct nozzle 2..

3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Inconsistent naming is a pain. On the board and in gcode the nozzles are referred to as 0 and 1, for the left and right respectively. On the LCD they are referred to as 1 and 2, again for left and right respectively.

If you look on the SD card there should be a dual folder which has 2 gcode files for calibration, a 0 and 1, again for left and right nozzle. I use Octoprint to do the calibration though so I don't think I have actually used these myself.

Personally I tend to calibrate using the direct extruder since both extruders have the same gearing and motors they should (in theory) be the same, and any minor differences can easily be adjusted via flow or extrusion multiplier. It's just a bit more convenient to do with the direct. However you can do the calibration on the Bowden. You may need to take the spool off the spool carrier and unspool a little filament to have enough room to work, then mark the filament from a suitable reference point going into the extruder (I would use the end of the short PTFE tube for a Titan, I haven't seen the non-Titan Bowden extruder for BB). Then do the calibration exactly as per the manual.

AndyVirus likes this.
  4. Proto_BB

Thanks Sarah. With your help I was able to print my first 3D Benchy!

PS: I have no idea how to mark a thread as "Solved".