Double brushes & mounting Volcano

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Kenneth Albanowski, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Kenneth Albanowski

First, I haven't seen any mention of them, so here's what I needed to do to set up a tool-head with a Volcano block & nozzle:

Subtact 8.5 mm from the Z-Offset in the matching G10 command in config.g:
    G10 P3 X-9 Y39 Z-13.5 ; originally Z-5

(If you happen to be installing an even taller tool, be sure to check the ';WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!' section in tpreN.g, but thankfully this was set properly so a Volcano doesn't destroy itself against the bed.)

That lead to wanting a brush that was the right height for the volcano head. I thought I'd just install a flipped brush on the right side of the case, however ran into a problem -- the carriage doesn't go far enough right on the X-axis. With a toolhead mounted, the PCF rams against the top plate before it'll land over the supplied nozzle brush. @Greg Holloway, I'm curious how a right-side brush works, I haven't seen any photos of such a thing, and am worried that something that extends further to meet the nozzle might also go far enough to interfere directly with the toolhead.

While I've got parts on order for Greg's very smart brush, I realized I could mount two dumb brushes on the left side, using the two sets of slots, and one flipped brush print. This way I can adjust one of them to the right height for the plain V6 tools, and the other for the Volcano.

I had a horrible time getting the coordinates dialed in; the default prime/purge script coordinates didn't work properly for the original brush mounted as the guide shows.

I'm still unsure why the coordinates were so far off, and I'm not sure if these will need adjustment per printer, but for what it's worth, I wound up with a back brush that has a park location of X-27.5 Y168, and a front brush (which needs all the Y coordinates flipped) with a park location of X-27.5 Y33. Of course I set up separate prime-front, prime-back, purge-front, and purge-back scripts, calling them from the appropriate tool files.

A warning: there's a real risk of a direct diagonal move to the brushes causing a head to clip the wrong brush, so add 'G1 X0 Y...' commands at the beginning and end of each of the prime/purge to move to the side of the brush first before directly on/off them.

Note in the photos the height of the two brackets are different, that's the only actual difference between the Volcano (front) and V6 brush (back). (I also modified the model a little bit to have a deeper slot for the brush, as my cheap plastic brush heads were thicker than Greg's.)

20190922_182324.png 20190922_182310.png

2. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

I think You should put the other brush on the other side panel just to secure it properly I think the way you are mounting the brushes could case the bracket to flex and maybe break the plexi panel, or use Greg's motorized brush found here

3. Kenneth Albanowski

That's where I started, the supplied design does not seem to work on the other side, the tool head cannot reach it due to the PCF being in the way.

I agree about the brackets flexing, I should tie them together, and a make a single unit.

#3 Kenneth Albanowski, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019