Dropping the bed immediately a Print has finished (gcode)

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Old_Tafr, May 3, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have BB dual, + Octoprint, printing from a single nozzle atm, no changes from original Rumba firmware and s3d.

Apart from adjusting things in s3d like temp and cooling (but not any before/after commands) as things just work then I'm not changing anything until something goes wrong or I need to change the way I work (like using the second nozzle).

Prints work fine but the print ends where the last filament is deposited which means that if I don't catch it right then then the nozzle sticks to the top of the print.

I can then either snap the filament by lowering the bed (ouch) or heat the nozzle and lower the bed, but it would be simpler to have the bed drop a few cm immediately the print has finished.

Is there a gcode command I can add to the "ending" script presently......

M104 S0 ; turn off extruder​

M140 S0 ; turn off bed

M84 ; disable motors

in s3d that will do this?

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I just move the hot end out the way with
    "G28 X0 Y0" make sure this is before disable motors of course!

This moves hot end to front left out the way, I think the experimental code from Greg includes code to put it back over the waste bucket so you might want to test that as a better option.

3. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

I would drop the bed to ensure the nozzle is above the part first then move the nozzles back home.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I prefer the waste bucket as I have definitely had drool at higher temp filaments like Nylon and Bluprint where you are printing in the 250-270 range which takes a long time to cool down to Tg, and if left over the bed you'll be picking up a big snot ball off the home position. Plus as an added benefit the docking clears the end for a time-lapse to see the whole part without the head in the way... :)

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

On my K8400 when a print finishes I drop the bed all the way to the bottom as it's easier to remove the glass there, plus get rid of any leftover drool on the nozzle since it doesn't have an ooze dock. I have this in my end script:

G90 ; Absolute positioning
    G0 Z190 ; Move platform to bottom
    G91 ; Relative positioning

I use absolute positioning to make sure I'm not trying to lower the bed lower than my maximum Z (190 for this particular printer).

Old_Tafr likes this.
  6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I don't move it out the way as print has finished so if it knocks it off the bed I don't mind :)

7. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

your extruder is supposed to dock after finishing, it does so with both dual and experimental profiles anyway

otherwise

G91 ; Relative positioning
    G0 Z100 ; Move platform to bottom
    G90 ; Absolute positioning

this will drop the bed 10cm fron the last layer