Dual and Quad Hot End

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jeepguy42, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Jeepguy42

Jeepguy42 Member

I keep seeing setups where people have to have multiple Hot Ends for printing multiple colors. What would be nice is to only need a single hot end to print multiple colors and while the inkjet system isn't quite an option (yet) for filament based 3D printing I've come up with a few ideas for a single hot end that one can feed filament through. figured I'd see what you all think.

I've seen the Kraken and while the water cooling is a neat thing it isn't always an easy thing to accomplish. My ideas may be able to offset using multiple fans using a shroud like the one the E3D -v5 and E3D-v6.

It wouldn't necessarily solve the problem of still needing a stepper motor per filament type but the extruder assembly wouldn't need to be increased any for the majority of printers (especially if using a bowden setup). It also keeps the nozzles a little closer together. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

• E3D.JPG
      E3D.JPG
      File size:
      139.1 KB
      Views:
  2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

This would be heavier and bulkier than the Kraken (and more expensive to machine). Where's the benefit?

3. Jeepguy42

Jeepguy42 Member

The Kraken is 45 x 30 in foot print with no mention to its length. The double and quad version I designed are 65 in length x 46 is diameter Which mean foot print wise they are the same with only possibly being a little longer than the kracken but the same length as the current E3Dv6. The current E3D on its own is roughly 65 in length x 21 dia. Plus the machining is identical to the standard E3Dv6 hotend with the exception of a few extra holes so it shouldn't be much more expensive to machine the hot end. Just a little bit more in material.

The benifit I'm looking at is an alternative to having water cooling. I don't trust have water near electronics and since my printer sits on my computer desk with my Computer, Monitors, speakers, etc all around it having a fan cooled that is roughly the same size as the current E3Dv6 that could do the job would benefit me on space and cooling.