Dual Bowden VS Dual direct extruder

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by mundsen, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mundsen

mundsen Member

Hi all,
    I have an Ord Bot Hadron printer with Bulldog Lite Extruder and E3D-V5 1.75mm direct drive hot end.

From the start I planned to set up a dual extruder, so I have two Bulldog Lite extruders + one E3D-V5 bowden (not used).

Now I`m interested in what is the best way to go - dual Bowden or dual direct drive.

What I have found is:
    - Retract is better on direct drive?
    - Using bowden you get lower weight on the X and Z axis, so you get less vibrations and may get faster printing?
    - Printing soft filament like ninjaflex is better on direct drive

What is the best setup? Dual extruder using one direct and one bowden?

2. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I agree with all you found out.
    Your plan to use one direct drive and one bowden should work fine.
    The most critical component of the setup is the nozzles have to be absolutely the same height above the bed.

3. mundsen

mundsen Member

I guess the only gain using bowden is lower weight + maybe better speed? My focus is to get the best possible quality, and I`m willing to wait longer for the print job to be done if the quality is better + I think my Ord Bot can handle dual direct extruder setup.

+ I guess it is simpler to get the nozzles at the same hight using dual direct or dual bowden compared to direct + bowden?

I my convert my bowden E3D-V5 to direct

I guess if bowden was the goal, a Kraken is the ultimate :)

4. mundsen

mundsen Member

I did order what I need to convert my E3D-V5 bowden to direct, and want to test a dual extruder config using 2 x Bulldog Lite extruders + 2 x E3D-V5 (1.75mm and 0.4mm nozzle)
    E3D-V5 is a great hot end :D

5. twicx

twicx Well-Known Member

From my research on this (and i'm currently building a dual-direct drive extruder) I'm leaning more towards direct drive. I have discovered that a key factor is also the type of bearing you're using to mount the extruder. My printer has a HIWIN bearing that's setup to take a lot of weight, so I've never had an issue with vibration in the Y axis. I typically run 40mm for the first 2-3 layers, then go upwards from there, depending on the complexity of the print.

As far as direct drive goes, keeping weight down is tricky. I was weighing up 2 x NEMA 11 Geared motors vs 2 x compact NEMA 14, and in the end, went with the nema 11s to save on space, even thought they were a little heavier. Have a look at Micron's new all-metal dual extruder. it's expensive, but runs on 2 x nema 11s, and is really impressive.