Dual - how to configure Z?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Pierce, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Hey,

The guide is a bit lacking (or I have missed it) on how to configured the Z endstop on a dual printer?

The guide has all the info for the single version but I don't see how to configure the +5mm and then adjust it in the menu options?

thanks,
    Pierce

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

You dont do it, thats why.

Put the sensor to the right height using the spare bit of GT2 belt as described.

Then you just run the level bed option from the LCD (in the prepare menu) and youre good to go

Pierce likes this.
  3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Cheers I'll give that a go!

4. Madeinoz67

Madeinoz67 Active Member

You need to manually get the printed to touch the nozzles as the Z-Axis only moves in one direction, which won't move in the direction we need once the Z-Home is hit.

To manually move you need to disable steppers from the menu first.

Once they're touching then adjust the IR sensor using the cut belt as described in the manual.

Do an auto home and its correct.

Then next thing to do is level bed. this is a manual process and not sure what the Pro has an automatic one while the Dual has this manual one???

Anyway grab a sheet of paper and go through each of the probes by adjusting the main nozzle until it just catches the paper, i.e. will still allow paper to slide under the nozzle, but is touching the paper. Save and do the next one, until all are finished. When printing starts bed will be level.

Stephen...

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

The manual configuration done by the dual is more accurate.

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

All working here now.

I moved the z probe so it wasnt lower than the tip of the hot end, auto hommed and then ran the bed level wizard.
    Works a treat. although did show that my bed was not as level as I thought.

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Fortunately it doesn't matter one jot that's it's not level. :)

8. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Thats very true :) however I figure the more level it is the less the z motors have to work.

9. Spoon Unit

While true, I think the motors are good for some long duty. Are you going to try and limit X and Y motor duty also? :)

10. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Of course lol, I just turned off forced retraction between layers that must limit the E motor slightly haha

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Levelness for duals is very critical. The X levelness is more critical than the Y but it's a good idea to do anyways.

I'd suggest lowering your left nozzle to be the lowest to start, adjust the Z motors so they're roughly the same distance from the frames on the sides. You can tweak it slightly one way or the other but the closer to square the better.

With the Z axis roughly squared, start sliding the X axis back and forth in the front of the bed. Adjust the positions of the leveling studs to get it really planer. Then do the other 4 corners. Once you do all 4 it's a good idea to do it again, and include the middle this time.

With the Bed now trammed against the XY carriage, you can lower the secondary nozzle to get it to line up Z wise with the primary.

You'll then need to calibrate the XY offset for the second nozzle.

Pierce likes this.
  12. Spoon Unit

I don't recall seeing any levelling studs. What are you referring to. Picture?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

the hex standoffs that connect the screw on the Z base to the bed screw. Adjusting that will adjust the bed levelness

14. Spoon Unit

Oh, the hexes actually screw in? Such great news if so. It was so long since I built that part that I don't recall even taking note of that.

15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

My nozzles are wedged in with brute force I don't think those levelling things do anything for me! I should have sanded some more I guess