Dual Hybrid: Setting x and y home in firmware?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Pierce, May 21, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

So being a complete idiot... when upgrading the dual bigbox to dual titan's I was still on old firmware and did a home of x and y and saw that it was well out. So I just replaced the screws with longer ones to try and get it closer to 0,0.

Then I realised my mistake and loaded alex's hybrid titan firmware and see this takes this into account and moves the hotend onto the bed for checking Z.

So I have a question, do I...

A, Just change the screws back, it wont be in as much alignment as it once was but would be closer and quicker
    B, work out what I need to change in the menu/firmware somewhere and re-flash(which so far I have been unable to track down)

Any pointers would be greatly received

Pierce

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't get what you problem is...
    You have to change the endstop screw on the X axis. You need a much shorter one. The screw on the Y axis can stay as it is...
    Remember to load firmware defaults then redo leveling. I recommend mesh leveling... All you gotta adjust normally is the new setting for the Z offset in the Motion menu or Tune menu when printing and the steps for your filament. Though I am printing with the default 417.5 pretty good...

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

So I homed x and y, and nozzle two, the left one was way off the bed. Should I be trying to get that at 0,0 or get the right one?

I think I might have just worked out my problem....

Agreed the 417.5 was spot on for my roll of e3d everyday when I tested it.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you home and hit the X endstop the RIGHT nozzle should be at 0,0! Right is the main extruder now. The offset you set for the second has now to be negative...

Pierce likes this.
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

The whole point of getting the full build volume is to move either the left or right nozzle off the bed to reach the bed limits with the other nozzle...

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Well now I feel like a fool, but thank you for pointing out my obvious mistake :-S

Have changed the screw and got the proper nozzle to 0,0 and now the dock and everything is working as expected(rather than missing it).

Alex9779 likes this.
  7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh and PID auto tune could be a good idea. There is a menu entry now for this. You can do it from the LCD at least for the first hotend...

Pierce likes this.
  8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hi, daft question, but when I home my dual hybrid the system seems to be zero'ing the x for the LEFT nozzle. The screw is set for the RIGHT nozzle to be in the correct position, but after it drives to the middle of the bed, the x co-ordinate seems to be for the LEFT nozzle which I dont think is right? Any ideas? Cheers

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

What firmware are you using? When going from either Pro or Dual V1.0 to the Hybrid you have to change your firmware...

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have only just received the machine, it came as the dual hybrid. Does it not come with the right firmware in it then? Can you point me the the firmware I need? cheers

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You got the Titans too or just the normal direct extruder?

Try this one: Marlin.BigBox_Dual_Hybrid_Titan_MBL-RC.hex

If you got the "normal" extruders, not the Titans then you have to change your E steps a lot...
    Remember after flashing to load "failsafe defaults" and "store" it again, then set everything up including leveling the bed...

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

Many thanks, will give this a try this evening

cheers

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

2016-06-05 22.07.48.jpg
    OK, I got the firmware updated through the PI (I used your guide Alex and it worked so thanks for that!). I am pretty sure it is now running that firmware as I can now move z 10mm whereas before I couldn't. However it still seems to calibrate the LEFT nozzle rather than the right. In the image it says X is at 30mm and the left nozzle is at 30mm on the bed. Am I doing something wrong? Cheers

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you connected your LEFT nozzle to HE0 then all is fine... X30Y30 is the park position after homing...

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

ahh ok, I thought it had to be 0, 0 on the right nozzle. Mine is 0,0 on the left nozzle. I will swap over the wires like you suggest and carry on. many thanks

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

??? If you home with the "normal" setup, left nozzle connected to HE0 and right nozzle connected to HE1 then you haver to use the normal firmware for hybrid NOT the mirrored one and then when you home your head move to the endstops then to 30,30 and homes Z there. Then it stays there, the LCD should show 30,30 and the left nozzle should be at 30,30.

Where did I suggest that?

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Please read this, maybe then it gets a bit clearer... I am really out of ideas how to explain the difference...

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

Sorry, I seem to have got confused, I think my setup is mirrored so will try that!

19. Scott Carlson

Scott Carlson Member

Hello Alex --

Thanks for the software! I'd like to confirm a couple of things. Just got my machine up and running last night.

I flashed with:
    https://github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware/blob/master/marlin_hybrid_dual.hex
    - Failsafe Defaults
    - Store

I have a v1.1 Dual Hybrid with Titan Extruders.

I have my Xaxis End Stop Screw very short, such that my Left Nozzle is at 0,0 and my right nozzle is at 0,0 (When at approx. -38,0).

Also the parking position after Auto Home is X,Y (175,100).

Does this sound OK? I see no HEX files for (Normal vs Mirrored) and (ABL vs MESH).

Thanks for your advice in advance!!
    Scott

20. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Look here for Alex's remixes.