Dual Print Settings

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by goose117, Mar 10, 2016.

1. goose117

goose117 Member

I'm working on printing 2 colors at the moment and there are lots of variables to play with for dual head printing.

1) I'm using Cura, does anyone have opinions on how good this is? Is Simplify 3D better at Dual Slicing? It generates an ooz shield and prime tower, but I still get plenty of ooz on the print. Are there better methods?

2) Should I use the dump bucket for priming on a Tool Switch? I setup some scripts to prime in the bucket, but it does take it's toll on print time.

3) What kind of retraction is best using the V6's for the off tool? Looking to reduce ooz. I'm using 2mm and may try 3mm. I'm afraid of going more and causing a jam in the heat break.

I'll post some of my results when I get home, overall I think i have a good start.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

1) Simplify 3D is more complicated on dual extrusion with more features. Cura handles dual very nicely and I used it for a LONG time for duals, even when I had simplify3d. But mostly because I was lazy and cura is easy.

2) Yeah the no-ooze purge method that E3D developed worked incredibly well. You might be able to convert it to run in Cura, but I know they made a profile for Slic3r as well. Print time is not really a priority with dual extrusion :)

3) Again this would be something E3D's method fixes, but you can do more than 2-3mm

goose117 likes this.
  3. goose117

goose117 Member

Just Googled the no-ooze purge method, i'll need to try that next.

Yea, I'm not super impressed with Cura for dual, it's great for most everything else. Even less impressed with Slic3r.
    The problem I see with Cura is it requires a tool change every layer for building the ooze shield. And no options for a waterfall, currently it makes a cocoon around my print which is kind-of annoying (Although its fun to sprout a benchy)

I may just go and put down the $$$'s for Simplify3D to "simplify" things.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  4. University of Toronto

University of Toronto Well-Known Member

I am setting up Cura for the first time for Bigbox dual. So, the bigbox dual is not in the list of printers available. Does anyone know what values we need to enter for the X,y,and z values for "printhead settings"? Also, i am assuming the "printer " settings to be the build volume dimensions?