SOLVED Dual Upgrade Difficulty

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Henry feldman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Not that I have mine yet, but I was curious how hard the upgrade to a dual will be. Will it be a kit of parts (and/or print some of the pieces yourself) and running some wires/rebolting in the dual hotends and off you go, or is it basically strip the whole thing down and restart? I probably should have just gone with the dual but at the time the "experimental" kind of scared me off (if it was possible I think at this point I would pay the difference and get a dual kit to start) but I know with dissolvable support materials this will quickly become very useful for me.

2. Clare - E3D

Clare - E3D Active Member
    Staff Member

Hi Henry
    To easily upgrade from BigBox Pro to BigBox Dual: in short, you should find it's fairly simple (in 3D printing terms...!). The X carriage gets lifted out & changed, so you remove the frame top, and of course there's a bit of wiring, adding the extra PT100 amp to base board, etc, but no, you won't need to strip the printer down completely.
    Guidelines will be out and about on the wiki in due course :)

Skinny Kid likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Henry, they are allowing changes to your order but with the risk of bumping your order back a bit. I say definitely go that route, it will be best to start with a dual. If they add an upgrade to dual kit that will be helpful, but it won't be too crazy to add to your printer. The X carriage is the only difference, they both ride on one LM8LUU, and it can be taken apart without disassembling the printer. You will have a new motor wire, two fan wires, hot end power, pt100 and bowden tube, probably best to put in a new cable shroud unless you're a glutton for punishment. You will have to run the additional cables into the bottom of the Bigbox, where you will be installing a second pt100, stepper driver, the special cable for dual pt100's, the second spool holder that extends out the back, and now you have to splice in the fan wires so the both run from the same single connections. It is very doable, and doesn't require a big disassembly, but opening the base to install the new hardware and doing the wiring a second time wont be fun. If you are a perfectionist you will want all the wires in the same loom down the back, so now you are disconnecting every single wire.

4. Henry feldman

@Clare - E3D
    Thanks. Do you have a sense how far back that would push me (now that there is a pause in shipping anyway) if I switched to the dual from the single? I am #68.

5. Tony Morel

Tony Morel Active Member

Henry,
    There are more than a fair few of us with the single heads that are going to go the dual upgrade way so I'd imagine it won't be long before there's a detailed upgrade plan available - you won't be in this alone !
    It took me a while to get my head around how different materials printed and that was with a machine that couldn't do anything exotic, so being limited at first to a single head isn't the end of the world - but it is exciting to think what we can be doing with a dual head eventually - and then a Kraken !!! mwaahaaaahaaaaa !!!!!

Of course, while waiting for my own BigBox to arrive (mid 100's so a while yet), I should probably be doing something about my flight sim setup being stripped down and scattered over two rooms. I foolishly packed away my K8200 and now need to print some parts to mount some dials.

6. Henry feldman

For me the second head would be for dissolvable support material mostly. Given how expensive some of the materials will be and that I am mostly making functional prototypes, little support sprue will be an issue. The biggest use I've seen are multicolored things for most users, which is lower priority for me. I rarely need to make tree-frog models that everybody makes (though that would be cool in my job - oh you have appendicitis? Well instead of operating, maybe I will give you this glow-in-the-dark PLA frog to hold!).

Note for me your "flight sim" is, I had better finish my X-Carve build which is on the table currently I will build the BigBox on! Damn that thing is huge by the way...

7. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

I have a dual extrusion printer and have never used it for anything so I'm happy with a single extruder and a volcano.

What I'm most looking forward to is never having to level y print bed again!