DuetWiFi or Duet3?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Junk, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Which Controller to Purchase for the E3D ToolChanger

1. DuetWiFi and Duex5

100.0%
  2. Duet3 and expansion boards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Junk

Junk Member

Hi

My E3D ToolChanger queue number is in the early 500s. My understanding is that the ToolChanger comes with the DuetWiFi and a Duex5. When purchasing the ToolChanger there will be the option whether or not to buy components. This covers the situation when people already own these components and don't need to buy more.

Pre orders for first production run of the Duet3 has opened (they may have started shipping now, I don't know). As I understand things one of the advancements of the Duet3 (among many others) is the increased expandability due to the CAN-FD buses. This will be of particular use in the ToolChanger. However I am not aware of the time scale for the release of the Duet3 expansion boards.

This gets me to my question. Are there reasons why I should not omit the DuetWiFi and Duex5 from my order and preorder the Duet3 instead?

Regards

James (JUNK)

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

The ToolChanger was built around the Duet2 / Duex5 combination. There is currently no support for the Duet3 at this time. Also the wiring kit we provide is for use with the Duet2.

Unless you want to actively help develop the Duet3 for use with the ToolChanger and to help develop the Duet3 in general I would get the Duet2.

Junk likes this.
  3. Junk

Junk Member

Thanks Greg,

I am interested in developing the Duet3 for use with the ToolChanger, but further thought leads me to think it will be better to get my system working with the Duet2 before switching to the Duet3. I will have to see what the cost of my system comes to, when my place comes up, and decide if I can afford to do it that way.

Thanks

James

Greg Holloway likes this.
  4. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Regarding Duet 3, the pre-order for the first batch of main boards sold out in just a few days and those boards are being delivered now. The next batch of main boards and the first production batch of expansion boards are expected to ship in November. We already have a Duet 3 in one of our tool changers and we will be showing it off at TCT. Duet 3 firmware isn't yet as stable as Duet 2 firmware, so anyone using Duet 3 in a tool changer will be working with bleeding edge code for a while.

5. Junk

Junk Member

Thanks for the update.
    I'll wait till my place in the queue for the ToolChanger comes up and see if the production Duet 3 boards are on sale by then. I will try to get to TCT to see it in action.
    Thanks
    James

6. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

HI DC42 Great work on the Duet 3, amazing engineering, Are you planing on adding the capability of using an SBC for the DWC with the Duet 2 and maybe using the USB as the connecting interface or is this not in the plan?

7. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

We're considering an SBC option when we refresh the Duet 2 range next year. It would theoretically be possible to remove the Ethernet module from a Duet Ethernet and connect it to a SBC via SPI. We prefer not to use the USB port of the SBC because it is often used for so many other things.

Greg Holloway likes this.