COMPLETE Dust Filter for Filament Tube

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Spoon Unit, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Maybe you keep everything super clean, in boxes that are hermetically sealed, and the filament never sees the light of day until it's hits your print surface. Or maybe you're like me and have your spools all over the place. I reached for one the other day to find it rather dusty. Sounds awful right? I know ... I'm bad.

Anyway, I had some sort of dust filter in the filament path on my last little printer and had been searching for the right place to attach a similar thing on the BB. Didn't take long to come up with the plan. Maybe it's useful for you too if you're as messy as I am.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2451866

ApplicationFrameHost_2017-07-25_15-48-19.png

Print. Insert sponge. Drop of oil. Poke a thin hole through the sponge. Fit. Happy to adjust it if someone has an idea. Sponge-fitting is a bit of a chore, so a screw on design for the outer casing could fix that, but it works for now.

Paul Begley likes this.
  2. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

i had previously been using this one , in a similar position. Although was never sure about oil. what oil do you use?
    As an upgrade, i was planning on combining the rear vertebrate with a cleaner and a filament sensor. just one of the many things i’ve to design. (that list is getting bigger every day! :) )

3. Spoon Unit

4. Spoon Unit

So - this is a terrible design. The internal cone was there to assist the build and aid threading, but it's a terrible design defect, as the filament is slowly but surely compacted by the cone giving the extruder a harder and harder time pulling until, eventually, it can't pull properly, then flow drops. A simple redesign is required to make the internal hole cylindrical, and then the outer will require a change to enable printing. A cone at the bottom would not generate the same result, so it could be as simple as that.

Or I could print the one @Paul Begley mentioned ...

Paul Begley likes this.
  5. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

"Rapid Prototyping” at its best :) Thanks for the heads up, i was going to give yours a go. will await an update. :)

6. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

Just so you know..... Oil will weaken your prints and some oils release VOC's when heated to 3dp temps

7. Spoon Unit

Right. I'll knock that on the head then. I guess I really will have to start putting the filaments back in boxes then. Thanks Pie.

8. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

You can still use the sponge, which is quite effective at catching dust, just make sure its dry