E3D colour mixing

Discussion in 'General' started by wharris87, Mar 1, 2014.

1. wharris87

wharris87 Member

Hi Sanjay and Josh,

Whats the story with your colour mixing hot end? Is this something you are looking to develop a commercial solution for, or simply some in house work you are doing?

Starting to look at the next range of upgrades for my printer, and wondering what the timescales are for you releasing more details about the work you have been doing? I appreciate you probably dont want to commit to too much, but are we looking at weeks/months/ years?

Cheers,

Will

2. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Will,

It's absolutely something that we want to bring to market.

We've got most of the bits for prototype v2 in now - just waiting on a single component that is quite hard to machine so we're having it made out of house. This version should be able to go onto a printer to actually print with we'll post details once it's running.

The thing with colour mixing from a commercial standpoint is that it's going to require more than just us to get on board, we are working with filament manufacturers to get appropriate input colours and very importantly also with software and electronics developers to get the mixing software too. It's going to be a long road in that regard.

We really hope to bring this to market in under a year, but at the moment we simply haven't done enough prototyping, research and development to know how this whole affair will turn out. We'll certainly have updates and info in the next month or two.

Sanjay

3. wharris87

wharris87 Member

Brilliant, thankyou for the update- I will follow with great interest!

4. ZeRoCoOl

ZeRoCoOl Member

Can't wait!! :eek: