E3D Edge Grey45 1.75mm very brittle

Discussion in 'Filament' started by KRavEN, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KRavEN

KRavEN Member

Just did my first couple of prints from a roll I got from Filastruder. The parts are very brittle. I can easily break a fairly sizeable structural part with my fingers. Same part printed in PLA, PLA/PHA, and PETG I cannot break without pliers.

I'm printing at the recommended 80c bed and 240c nozzle. Using E3Dv6 hotend with .3mm nozzle pushed by a Titan onto PEI over glass print surface. No adhesion issues. 30% infill. The part visually looks very good.

Anything I should try to resolve the issue? Is it possible I got a spool from a bad batch or something?

2. KRavEN

KRavEN Member

I want to add that the roll came out of a sealed box and it was in it's sealed wrapper with desiccant inside. I loaded it immediately after opening and started my print within 5 minutes. I don't see how my issue could be moisture related.

I have the same issue shown video in this post. I never saw any resolution in that thread and it quickly moved to a bed adhesion discussion. I have no problem with bed adhesion.

3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Tim here, from Filastruder. Brittleness often ones from moisture, but as you said the spools are double sealed with desiccant. Additionally the room we keep filament in here is climate controlled with a humidity sensor and I haven't seen it over 50%. Generally closer to 40%.

With that said, time in the shipping trucks and warehouses could have possibly introduced moisture? Just to eliminate it as a possibility, perhaps it would be a good idea to dry some filament and re-print.

If the spool is no good, we'll make it right and refund you. I haven't seen or heard of brittleness aside from this post and the one you linked to, though.

4. KRavEN

KRavEN Member

Thanks for the info Tim. As always support from Filastruder is top notch. The spool was vacuum sealed when I opened it so no chance it could have had any moisture introduced during storage or shipping.

Hopefully I can get it worked out because I have 2 spools of edge grey and 1 of grey crystal. BTW I store all my hygroscopic filaments in an air tight bin with descant inside similar to this one.

I have some sample yellow edge that I also got from Filastruder that I'll dry in the oven just to be certain and then try with various different settings for temp and fan. Reading the other threads it seems fan should probably be off. I'm printing on a prusa i3 so it's probably more open and drafty than what the BigBox guys are experiencing.

5. Cedric_K

Cedric_K Member

Hi ! I got poor experience with Edge (only 1 spool worked with)

I got same issues at beggining of my spool. Good sealed and used immediately after opening.
    I also thought about moisture (I work in plastics so I know the issue)
    So I put it in oven a 70°C for 4 hours. (principle of industrial dryers used before processing plastics).
    I doesn't change anything at all.

Did you use coling fan ?

After lot of checks, my actual hotend T° was 5-10 under the displayed T° (so is was maybe a bit too cold).

Seems also that Edge hates any cooling fan at all, a part beeing printed has to keep a top layer very soft (much more than regular PLA), I think that's why inter layer bonding is so strong, and has to be printed very slow.

When using cooling fan, bottom layers may become too hard to get a good fused with the new filament coming above.

Not sure about anything, it's only what I think.

#5 Cedric_K, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017