E3d Edge - the Bigbox Filament...

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by R Design, Oct 7, 2015.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

The only co-polyester I'm familiar with is ColorFabb XT.

How does E3d edge compare with that in its various material properties?

Or is that the wrong comparison?

Will it be on the E3d website any time soon?

2. thingster

thingster Active Member

I've wondered the same. Very curious and I hope there will be some updates on that new filament very soon.

3. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I would like to order some with the printer so I can print spare/modified parts. I hope they offer it when they start shipping.

4. R Design

Agreed.

Without tech specs, buying filament is like buying coloured water: whatever the price, it could be anything!

5. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Yup, it's very similar to XT all round in terms of it's actual material specifications, such as ultimate tensile, flexural modulus, temperature resistance etc. However the main objective with this material was to create something that is really really easy to print with great results. It was essentially created to be a great material to run in the print farm. When you've got 300kg of material to print it really pays to optimise for things like great bed adhesion when hot - but easily removed cold, ultra low warp, and generally not being fussy to print. It means we can reliably turn around print after print without having to do time consuming manual steps like prizing parts off the bed with a tool, or constantly having to remove the glass and re-prep the surface. Using Edge means we can just pick the parts off the bed by hand, and press print again. It's not fussy about things like ambient temperature like ABS, and is significantly tougher and more temperature resistant than PLA. It's got higher tensile strength than ABS (51MPa), it's stiffer than ABS with a flexural modulus of 2.2GPa. Something that I don't really have a number for, but is one of the biggest reasons for choosing Edge for the printed parts is that it reliably and easily forms extremely strong inter-layer bonds unlike ABS which can be tricky to get to bond well with certain ambient conditions.

Edge is super super glossy, almost too glossy. To the point where it shows even the most minute defect glaringly in reflections. I'm not sure whether to add something to reduce the gloss before releasing for general sale or not. On the one hand the gloss is amazing and can be beautiful, however it really highlights the tiniest of imperfections with it's glaring reflectivity!

Edge is much more temperature resistant than PLA, but isn't quite as good as ABS (again, don't have specific numbers here). So we're printing a select few parts around the hotend and close to the heated bed (such as the fan duct) in something that is very similar to ABS, but quite a bit better. "Material X" (Don't have a name for this one yet!) is stiffer than ABS, forms better interlayer bonds and bridges, and generally prints to a much cleaner and glossier finish than ABS.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

All sounds very good indeed, more good innovations... Why not release glossy and non glossy versions?

7. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Is there a scheduled release date for the Edge filament?

8. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

It's easier to make a Matt finish shiny than vice versa so I'd prefer Matt - and in engineering colours as well. Call your new material 'Edge Pro'

Can either of these filaments be solvent welded/vapour smoothed?

9. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

It sounds promising.
    How well does it stand up to sunlight (UV)? I currently use PetG and am pretty happy with it in the sun but it has horrible bridging capabilities when printing.

10. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

@Sanjay I am sure after the release we will have a better idea on things, but what colors will be released and is there any future colors that plan on being released? My wife really wants pink yet I have yet to find a pink PETG yet.

Thanks

11. R Design

12. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

13. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I just called E3D to find out what was happening with EDGE filament and was told there is a slight setback and that hopefully it should be available towards the end of this week.

Here is hoping as now I have my dual BB Titan upgrade but didn't order the printed parts as I wanted to print my own (including the modified raised bracket as I have the BB 1.0 frame) and I don't really want to order new filament just to print this when I want the ease of EDGE and to keep the BB consistent in the filaments used to make it.

14. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

I did mine in xt-cf20 and HT