E3D Everyday PLA/ABS

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Paul Begley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Wow, just noticed that a pretty substancial price hike on E3D PLA/ABS filament. Not sure how long its been like that, but when i ordered my BB in April, and 99% sure it was the same a couple weeks ago, they were £12.50 a roll, now £23. 84% increase! WTF !! glow in the dark was £17, now £27. Premium was £25 now £27. Doesn't look like other brands have increased by quite so much, if at all.

At this price not so “everyday” :( Glad I originally got 10 reels now, wish i got more ;)

2. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Same weight?

I would check myself, but currently standing in line to board a plane in Dallas on my way back to the UK with a bag full of filament from Maker Geeks :)

3. Paul Begley

Yep, 750g

4. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Glad I stocked up while I was here then, picked up some Raptor along with a few others to try.

5. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

That's putting it right into colorfabb type price range. Not sure if the weak pound has increased the cost to them, but I wouldn't have thought it would have doubled it. I've been waiting for them to get some colours back in stock, but I guess I'm free to look elsewhere at that price. :(

6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I notice the price increase and will revert to my original UK supplier FilaPrint but as I am a small user this won't affect E3D's bottom line. FilaPrint prices have changed a bit but you get 1kg reels of their own and some other brands. As @Sarah Nicholson says, the GBP is weaker, it has lost about 10%, so this is just profiteering. OK, they are building a materials lab to generate new materials but it does not justify that size increase. Perhaps @Sanjay can comment?

7. Sarah Nicholson

+1 to filaprint, they are local to me and have been known to drop my orders over in person. Really nice people too,

mike01hu likes this.
  8. Paul Begley

Yeah my original thought was Brexit related, except didn't account for the % increase and the lack of increase with other brands. This change basically normalizes the pricing structure, although I see little point in the 'everyday' range, may as well just buy the premium/branded stuff.

9. Sarah Nicholson

I'm hoping it's a mistake as it does seem rather extreme, but we'll see. Shame as for a budget filament I found their everyday PLA really nice to print with and very forgiving, great for knocking out quick iterations when modelling something.

Also on the subject of E3D, did anyone notice from their Twitter announcement that they will soon be stocking 2.3kg spools of Edge? Although right now I'd settle for getting the 750g spools in stock.. plus I dread to think how much those giant spools will cost.

PsyVision likes this.
  10. Sarah Nicholson

Scaffold has gone up to £45... ouch. Probably just as well for my bank account it's never in stock ;)

11. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

When you consider that those prices don't include VAT (for UK/EU customers) or shipping, and not even a full Kg weight, it is hard to see how they are going to sell anything much at all...

12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Wow! Everyday pla used to be interesting at 12.50 but now it is among the most expensive pla on the market!

13. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Very disappointing, especially the silence from E3D on this, some sort of comment would be welcome... @Sanjay

14. Sarah Nicholson

It's insane, considering they are marketing it as 'Everyday' but it's now priced right up against premium brands like Colorfabb and rigid.ink. With VAT it comes to £27.60 a 750g spool, plus shipping, whereas if I wanted to pay that sort of price I can get rigid.ink PLA for £29 a kg with free delivery on amazon prime, and they have a much better range of colours and tighter tolerances.

Still hoping it's all a gremlin that's hit their website pricing. Odd that Edge hasn't increased which we know they poured a lot of R&D into.

15. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link to Filaprint. Comparing prices was interesting.

When buying in the UK, you can get 1Kg of the Filaprint premium PLA for £20.95 delivered.

This compares very well with the prices I get in the USA from Maker Geeks, which work out at no more than £19 delivered for 1Kg.

With E3D, by the time you add VAT and delivery to the Everyday PLA you are getting only 750g for £33...

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

You can get non Premium PLA from Filaprint at even less too which is probably in line with E3Ds Everyday. I have to say i like using the Everyday but I'm not sure I'll buy any at that price.

17. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

With Everyday PLA working out at £44/Kg delivered I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it...

18. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

This is the price of weaker pound and shark suppliers. Since they surely get it from out of uk, they get hit twice. Something that will be more and more apparent in uk in the coming months when things do not change.

19. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

10-15% maybe, this level of increase is something else.

Nothing in the exchange rate changes justifies a near doubling of the price...

20. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Add % twice and speculation from suppliers .... but ti is indeed way too much