E3D Everyday PLA/ABS

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Paul Begley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

But I wonder why only this types changed, or did someone notice increased prices on other filaments too? Shouldn't the premium types have increased too?
    Colorfabb has to be imported from NL so the weak GBP makes it more expensive for them...

2. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Looks like only the everyday PLA went up. Really weird. Maybe they decided to stop selling it

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If I wanna get rid of something I make it cheap...

4. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

To be fair, fpex did say maybe they decided to stop selling it, and I'm pretty sure they will have been successful in stopping selling it at the new prices!

Getting rid of it would of course require a price reduction :)

Sarah Nicholson likes this.
  5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Another theory could be they are planning something big and need it for themselves but don't want to take it out of he store. That may have been the reason Edge was released after the BigBox because they needed.it to print the parts.
    :D

6. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Something big with normal pla of a quality I can get for 17 euros plus taxes?

7. Dan Halsall

Dan Halsall Member
    Staff Member

Hi Guys, as you may know I am the customer service manager here at E3D, I work with Sanjay.

Sanjay is off ill at the moment but I have just spoken to him and he has promised to post to you all on Monday to give some context to this price change.

Cheers

Dan

Paul Begley and Mark_T like this.
  8. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

I think the E3D Premium went up also, only a couple £ though. I think it was £25 now £27 (+VAT) also the Glow in the dark, was £17 now £27. Can’t comment on other brands as I’ve not purchased them , so have no record.

9. GBR1

GBR1 Member

This does seem strange. I know they just received a large shipment of Filament, maybe they changed the properties or something, but why change the everyday when it was already great filament for the price!?

I can only guess it's a change of supplier as well!?

GBR1

10. Clare - E3D

Clare - E3D Administrator
    Staff Member

As you may already be aware, old E3D filament collection is being retired, superseded by spoolWorks
    We've been investing in this new range of high quality offerings for some time now, commencing with the game-changing EDGE filament, developed in-house, which launched back in May.
    PLA and ABS are the next to join the range, both being some of the best quality filaments of their type that we've ever printed with.
    We've worked with our manufacturers to tighten tolerances and ensure we're getting premium quality filament to you, for premium printing.
    The PLA range includes two *new* additions - Royal Blue42 and Light Grey06 (the same grey that's been so popular in the Edge range).
    Super-sized 2.3kg spools will also be joining both the PLA and EDGE ranges, starting this week.

Sorry it's taken a while to get the word out to you. You'll find the website's still catching up with the changes, but all will be in order in the next day or two and in the meantime the filament's available to purchase - it just may well be showing old descriptions & images.

11. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

Any news on when we might see "Material X"?

12. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

So if we order the 'Everyday PLA' from the website at the new price we are going to receive the new premium Spoolworks branded product?

What has happened to the remianing stock of the original Everyday PLA?

13. Clare - E3D

Staff Member

A) Yes!
    B) there will be a lucky dip sale later this week for all remaining stock of E3D Everyday (you'll be able to choose diameter and filament type, & receive colour X)

14. Clare - E3D

Staff Member

It's in production already, but I have no date for launch right now. There will be another spoolWorks addition before MatX

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Will the E3D filaments be rebranded?

16. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

A lesson well learned from 'Maker Geeks' I guess :)

In any event it will be welcome as a promotion I'm sure.

Since this change effectively takes E3D out of the low cost filament market, I look forward to reading feedback, from those more experienced than myself, on how the new premium products compare to the competition...

17. Clare - E3D

Staff Member

Do you mean the remaining E3D filaments (PA12, MG94, etc)?

18. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

Shame, I for one would still like to be able to get the 'lesser' quality everyday stuff for test prints, cleaning, calibration etc etc basically everyday activities. Paying nearly x2 is a bit painful on the pocket for this sort of 'playing/testing', even if quality is better with tighter tolerances etc.

Oh well good things dont last forever... Will give the new range a try at some point no doubt in the future.

mike01hu and PsyVision like this.
  19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No I meant "Everyday PLA". There was some discussion and the price difference between "Everyday" and "Premium" is not very big now.
    So you make it better, make it more expensive but keep the name is somehow disturbing...

20. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I think Clare is saying that it is going to be rebranded but they haven't updated the website yet.

I'd personally still like the option of a good quality budget offering for iterating and prototyping alongside the premium range.

mike01hu and PsyVision like this.