E3D Everyday PLA/ABS

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Paul Begley, Jul 28, 2016.

1. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I agree , keeping the same name seems a bit silly.

2. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I don't think they intend to keep the name the same, it will become a 'Spoolworks' product with a new name and E3D Everyday PLA will be no more after the stock clearance sale.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I read that spoolWorks part but I wanted more details :D

4. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

We should also remember that it never was a 'cheap' filament in the first place, at £12.50 + VAT for 750g we were paying £20/Kg plus postage.

That gets you a 'premium' product elsewhere and free postage, but if E3D were to come up with a genuinely cheap 'Everyday' product that would be great, if not and they prefer to stick to the premium end of the market then that is also understandable, but at the new prices, we need to compare against alternatives costing around £37/Kg and E3D still charge for postage on top of that.

5. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

The issue for me is that I still fail to see what edge or such a highly priced pla gives wrt to similarly prices filaments and in the high end we have already excellent choices from colorfabb, polymaker, formfutura and the alike.
    At the low end, most is utter crap.

6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Have to say I agree, for me it has printed really well, consistently, that I haven't bothered buying many other filaments. I will probably change now.

7. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, pending competitive comparisons, E3D would appear to have moved into an already very well served market segment with no clear competitive advantage at their chosen price-point, and completely out of the 'Everyday' market segment...

Let's wait for more details and reviews I guess.

8. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Also PVB materials like polysmooth will be taking 3D printing (especially for modelling) by storm. I myself have great hope that after I receive my spools, I can say bye bye to pla and ngen altogether. And keep HT for apps needed strength and temp resistance.

9. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

From the world of business:

"loss leader" - in a supermarket it's good to have a few very good deals prominently displayed. It creates the impression of value and encourages uncritical buying in the aisles.

"yield management" - which includes the observation that if you double the margin but lose 20% of sales, you're still better off - at least in those narrow columns of the booksheet.

"premium pricing" - a high price creates a perception of quality / exclusivity.

10. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

I'll give you another one ... :)

Key Value Items (KVI) - products which disproportionately drive customer’s price-value perception of a retailer and are the first products that drive store switching when pricing is not aligned...

11. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

The only reason I find by "renaming" products in the store is to either have some forwarding to the new name so all former links to store will continue to work. Or lets stir the ant hill to get some coverage before removing the old stuff.

12. SoBaldrick

SoBaldrick Well-Known Member

luckily I have a big order I raised end of june for 11 reels at the old prices. Just waiting for the Natural to become available.

13. Mark_T

Mark_T Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'm not sure how 'lucky' you may be with this order.

Orders at the new prices are being supplied with the new filament.

The old filament is about to go on a clearance sale.

I'd be inclined to ask exactly what they are going to supply to you (new or old filament) and then decide if you still want the order...

14. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Does E3D ever supplier real material data of their filaments or it is just blogging hype about how good edge or this new magic Pla is?
    I do not mind trying new filaments, but I love to be aware of what they want me to expect

15. Turtle

Turtle Member

Well I am running low on filament and decided to place an order for more everyday PLA, saw the double in price and now I'm looking around. I'm happy how well the everyday prints but a 750g roll for £23 then add VAT and finally shipping, not really good value for money. I wondered why I couldn't get the colours I wanted when I placed my last order but now it seems they were running down the stock.

Time to look around for a more competative supplier.

16. Paul Begley

Paul Begley Well-Known Member

#56 Paul Begley, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  17. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I would To order a sample pack of all these filaments at higher price before committing to spools.
    I love to try new materials, but they need to be truly so. I still feel edge is just nGen from what I read.

18. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

But I can confirm that Edge it's absolutely not nGen.

19. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

What is the difference form ngen or XT? It feels it has similar properties to one or the other without being in advantages to any of the two.

20. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

nGen (Amphora 3300) is the easiest to print of the Amphora co-polyesters. It prints at a lower temperature than the others and has very little tendency towards warping. Unfortunately it's a bit brittle and prone towards glassy fractures.

Amphora 1800 (colorFabb XT) is a little trickier to print with and requires a higher temp.

Amphora 5300 (colorFabb HT) is super tough but requires a lot of heat to print with.